• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine ticking.

Hi my EP3 engine started to give a ticking noise from it and when I drive the ticking speeds up, is this the valve clearance?

I had my valve clearance done in January and I also have kepted an eye on the oil it was a little low but not below min but gave it a top up anyway.

Also back in January I don't know if anyone can remember I had a bit of a problem with a dodgey map which was all sorted by tdi and oil light had came on aswell but everything has been fine since and all running ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, what one the inlet or exhaust manifold?

I can't hear it higher up the rev range jusy lower down the ticking does speed up though then about from 4000rpm i can't really hear it.

Could be a bearing from your a/c or alternator. Mate had a similar noise on his ep3. Comes and goes on idle, speeds up while reving, and is clearly coming from the side of the belt. Is it more noticeable on cold start up? What's your mileage? Could as well be your chain tensioner if it is beyond 60.000 miles.

I just got top pulley changed and the belt. Told my mate to check it all and he said all was ok.

Its going in to get FRSU done during the week i'll get it all checked while its in at automek.

Anyone know how to get a video from my phone on ? I tried imageshack but can't get it to work.

[video=youtube;tlrvO2-p3hQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlrvO2-p3hQ[/video] I hope its just me being paranoid haha

I forgot all about this thread.

It turned out to be a leak on the manifold all fixed now and it is much quieter, it must of been a gradual thing cause i didnt notice it getting louder.

Cheers everyone.

Back