• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine Trouble!!!

Just to say hi to all.

I'm new here and was just wanting to know a bit off info.

I had my CTR EP3 serviced a the Honda dealer in Brighton for its 75,000 service. It went in with no problems except a little knocking noise that could be heard when the engine was turned on. After paying £563 for a service and MOT, they discovered that it was the starter motor showing signs of wear.

As soon as I drove the car of the fore court i could here and feel the car wasn't right. It had a slight whining noise to it as i accelerated both slow and fast, and then the next day it became worse and a knocking noise also became aparent. I called them the same day to say it wasn't right and they booked it in for someone to have a look at it next week (w/c 5-11-08)

After them having it for a moring they phoned me up and told me that my engine was going to have to stripped as they were not sure if the knocking noise was the timing chain or the bottom end bearings!?! £2000 they what - and thats just to start with!:mad:

Now is it me or have they done something to my car whilst it was being surviced? Surley if there was a problem they would have called me during the service?

Since then, I have been getting various different mechanics to look at it, they all agree that and engine like this would not instanly give up the ghost, something like this would at least start to show signs of wear before or when being servicved.

A lot of reports are saying that it sounds like some one has started the engine up with out any oil in it as it was being drained/replaced.
I cant understand how a car can go in (to a main dealer) running perfectly (starter motor excempt) and come out needing and engine re-build or complete new engine.

I have spoken to both the manager and the dealer principle at Brighton Honda and they have both denied that this problem is any thing to do with them or the service.

Please could any one help me, as i'm not to sure what I can do now. My car is off the road and has been sinse Thursday the 6th November.

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I've already done that. They say that becuse my car has now done 92,000 miles its no longer covered by what they call 'Good will perameter' scheme and that i'm pretty much on my own.
I've been to another direct Honda dealer and there happy to back me, but also agree with brighton Honda that in order to investigate further, the engine has to be stripped.
I've been to various different private mechanics and they all are saying that the main problem for the engine to just go like this is running it with no oil, after its been drained.
I've spoken to trading standards, and they advised me that my next course of action may have to be going to the courts. More Exspense!!!
Do you know of a CTR engine to just golike that after a major service?

Do you know of a CTR engine to just golike that after a major service?

It happens mate, however if it was all fine before with no noises apart from the starter motor then I would have expected it to be fine after the service.

The difficult situation is that you know it wasn't doing it before, and now it is after, BUT proving the dealership is at fault is nigh on impossible, as it's purely your word against theirs.

Just as an idea, for £2k you'll be able to buy another 2nd hand complete engine, and have it swapped out for yours for not much more if it does come down to having to spend money. You'd then most likely be able to sell the salvageable parts from your existing engine to recoup some of the costs. I know it's not the ideal situation, or answer, but it could well be better than spending £2k for diagnostics at Honda?

The difficult situation is that you know it wasn't doing it before, and now it is after, BUT proving the dealership is at fault is nigh on impossible, as it's purely your word against theirs.

Just as an idea, for £2k you'll be able to buy another 2nd hand complete engine, and have it swapped out for yours for not much more if it does come down to having to spend money. You'd then most likely be able to sell the salvageable parts from your existing engine to recoup some of the costs. I know it's not the ideal situation, or answer, but it could well be better than spending £2k for diagnostics at Honda?

Might even be able to get a JDM engine. :smt047

honda dealers are all the same mate, i had loads of trouble with sb honda in wakefield when the car was still under warranty and never got it sorted! i hope everything works out for you friend.

Im sorry but i cant see how servicing the car would cause that mate. I think you have just been unlucky and something has failed.

Hi.
The thing is the car was running fantastic before it when in, then after a day and a half i get the car back with 40 miles on the clock and a 1/4 tank of petrol gone.
Sinse then i've had two reports done on the car. One from another main Honda dealership, and one from an independant mechanic and they have both said the same. It apears that the car may have been started with out any oil in it during its service, and in doing so has shot all the bottom end bearings.
So now i'm in a legal battle trying to sort out a solution.
I JUST WANT MY CAR BACK!!! :-(

That would do it ;)

Im a mechanic in a main dealer mate, i have seen cars come in for something simple and something has gone wrong while it has been in that is totally beyond the machnices control. It has happened to me before and it is not nice. Some times it is just bad luck.
Im not saying that they havent done anything wrong because they might have. I can just see both sides of the argument thats all. It is bad what has happened and i hope it works out for the guy i really do.

i had a problem with my ctr, a knocking noise when started the engine and driving, it got worse over a couple of days. booked it in at honda. they told me timing chain was loose whiched caused the knocking, they stripped engine down replaced it, got it back after 4 days £500, warranty covered it, drives spot on again!

thanks for the info but dont think mines the same problem, its more of a grinding noise rather than knocking, when i start the car when its cold and its fine once driving.

My 51 CTR used to grind on cold starts. A common fault from what i`ve read, although no universal cure

Thankfully the 55 has no such issues, and by christ has it been cold enough!

mines a 55 plate mate and i have had the problem for quite some time, just never been able to get down to what the problem is! even sb honda in wakefield could,nt find a fault, although the car was under warranty at the time!!!

Back