• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine Warning Light Back On After Lambda Change

Hi guys, on Wednesday I had the front Lambda sensor changed on my 03 plate CTR. The engine light had came on a month earlier and I seen on here that it's common for the lambda sensor to need to be changed. Thing is, this morning, about 2 miles into my journey for work, the light came back on :eek:

The sensor I bought was genuine and from a Honda garage in Glasgow. My car is standard a part from the induction kit, which I do plan on putting back to standard soon. Is this another common problem on these cars ?

That's the thing, I gave the code to the Honda garage and it was the front sensor. Now it's changed I thought my engine warning light would never come on again :(

I'll get a diagnostics again today, see what code comes up now.

The diagnostic came back with the front Lambda sensor. The boy at Honda said it's probably a small leak in my exhaust somewhere and to ignore it.... I dunno what to say/do !

If you got the o2 sensor changed it will be fixed just the ecu needing reset. If he has cleared the fault it shouldnt come back on if you got the o2 sensor changed before.

Much do honda charged for you to get it on the computer?

Thanks for the reply, Howie. It wasn't a Honda garage I took the car to for a diagnostics, but a garage I have known for 17 years. The fault was cleared, light went out but came back on when driving home, which is about 8 miles. I spoke to my girlfriend, who used to work at the Honda garage and she called them about it. She got back to me about them saying about the exhaust.

The car still runs fine and goes up the revs, but I feel the idle has a problem, as pulling away from junctions it sounds like it's struggling to pull away. Light is still on and I've done around 40 miles now.

I just wonderd how nuch they charge because sometimes its worth buying a handheld computer and just plug it in yourself.

It sounds like maybe cat gasket at the front but i would of fought the garage would of spotted that. Am not 100percent sure but if thats what it is its cheap fix just new gasket which is about £15 from honda.

Also your car wont run perfect with eml on it will be in limp mode and will probs use more fuel.

Others on here will know alot more than me but this has happend to me before.

Gordy. Read the thread i linked. Flash the code and see what you get.

You do not need to reset the ecu once you have fitted a sensor and cleared the code.

Neither does having the EML on mean your car is in limp mode.

Gordy. Read the thread i linked. Flash the code and see what you get.

You do not need to reset the ecu once you have fitted a sensor and cleared the code.

Neither does having the EML on mean your car is in limp mode.
lol i thought it did, as i said other people know better than me.

I had to reset mine when i got my o2 sensor done, the fault was still there till it was cleared i take it that didnt matter ?

Least i am learning lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what the fault is as to whether limp mode comes in to play.

The increase in fuel usage will be due to implausible values from the lambda sensor.

If you clear the code with a diagnostic machine or reader, you shouldn't have to reset the ecu.

In the case of lambda probes, it may be a good idea to reset it anyhow to erase any short term fuel trim adjustments.

Thanks guys, I will get my mate to do that this weekend as I don't trust myself for that type of thing lol.

It's costing £0 for the diagnostic, mates rates !

Back