• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine Warning Light - Stretched Timing chain?

Hey,
I've been having a problem with my CTR for a few month now. It started when the engine warning light came. I got a diagnostic test done which said it was P0341 Camshaft position sensor. So i took it into honda and got the sensor replaced. Engine warning light came back on :( got another diagnostic test done...same fault. Honda think the timing chain might have stretched. They've quoted me £700-800 to change it.
Any one else had this problem or something similar? need some advice on this :confused:

- Grebe

The timing chain issue has popped up a few times recently.

If you are near TDI north I would give them a call to see how much they would charge as its probably cheaper than Honda.

bit far away from me. I'll have a phone around some local garages and see how much they'll charge. How much do you think a reasonable price would be?

probably half that price at a normal garage. timing chain is quite a big job but not £800 big. Honda wanted £500 to just "remove" my gearbox for work needed. my trusty garage, £150 to "remove and replace" gearbox and they let me keep my car on there forecourt for a weekend.
even get someone or d.i.y take rocker cover off (easy jobs first) and check for slack in chain and cams. and chain tensioner before spending big bucks.

yes i have oil had been run low before i had it and chain jumped teeth and bent some valves eml came on and off for a cou;ple of weeks cost the garage not me £1600

doesnt sound too good, hoping its just the chain thats stretched. I've tried phoning a few local garages but none of them will even touch it :(

Is the car sluggish to drive? You would seriously notice it if the cars timing chain has been stretched. You would erratic surges of power in the rev range depending on the timing if it is advancing or retarding....

I had the exact same problem with my civic type r, drove me nuts replacing parts (both camshaft sensors at £87 each). It turned out it was the timing chain stretched. Even after every so called mechanic i knew saying it couldn't be stretch and honda themselves telling me when i bought it "oh we never sell these that often". My brother being a mechanic too replaced it for me and solved the problem straight away, fairplay to him. The chain cost £135 and took him about two hours, i also replaced the tensioner at £75 just to be safe. So just over £200 in parts and a few beers for bro, problem solved. My advice would be to find a cheap mechanic and buy the parts for him (strike a deal) don't let honda pull your pants down!!

Ive just had the same sort of thing happen.Is your car missfiring?
I have to drive mine slow till i can get someone to work on it,I also had a quote for doing the chain by honda before and they wanted 1600 to do it.
My engine management light is on and the car is missing,it is also an 04 reg and just done 60,000 miles.

I had the same problem about a year ago, but the chain doesn't stretch it jumps teeth on the cam sprockets due to the tensioner giving way (either by lack of oil or just general wear)

Anyway I was going to DIY but couldn't get the pulley wheel off the crankshaft :( So after buying a chain for about £125 and toda chain tensioner for £100 Honda charged £260 for fitting.

Therefore I reckon about £500 to get fixed :(

never know the K20 suffered this till now.

Nissan have had this problem for a few years now, even seen chains being changed at 15k due to a camshaft sensor fault.
the reason is the ECU gets a pulse from the carnk and cam sensors so when the chain stretches a little you get a slight difference in timing hence the ECU thinking the sensor is at fault.

as for jumping teeth due to a tensioner/oil pressure fault, this is suffered by a few manufacturers mostly being the good old ford transit.
vauxhalls can also do this, infact just tonight i looked at a friends corsa as it had no compression and after a quick inspection it looks like the cam timing is not correct

Well finally got mine plugged in and it said v-tec malfunction,anyone had this?
My mate turned the light off though and said to try and find out what it means as he dosent really work on hondas.Any ideas? Its lucky I dont have to pay for this stuff it would cost me a fortune.

I check the oil level every week,Ive never let it get low but only owned the car for 6 months.
What does it mean?

Back