• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep2 k-swap ecu/immobiliser issue

Hi all
I bought an ep2 that had been k-swapped,
I bought it with a blown engine(cheap), I then fitted a new engine but it will not start, it will crank but won't fire up.
I have been told that it's possibly the immobiliser or Ecu but I'm not really sure, if the key needs coding with the ecu is this something that Honda can do?
Any help will be great!
Cheers
Callum

Did you just swap the block or did you change the ECU as well?

If it's the same ECU then your old key should still fire it. If it's a new ECU then yes, the key will need recoding to the new ECU. Honda or TDi-North can do it.

One last thing, did it fire when you bought it or did you not try? If you didn't try it could be a carry over issue...

There are a few things to consider with a k-swap. They often need remapping on Kpro or K100 as they sometimes don't run stock headers, sensors etc so mapping sorts out any issues. Also sometimes people will stick on an aftermarket immobilizer depending on the ECU setup, whether it was an EP3 ECU or standalone. Just something to consider. Hopefully the previous owner will be forthcoming with info.

Yes I put the new ecu in that came with the engine, I guess a trip to Honda is on the cards,
The previous owner is useless as he bought it with the same intention as me but didn't have a clue ha
Apparently there was a kpro on there but that was sold before I managed to get my hands on the car, hence why I put the ep3 ecu in the car,
Can Honda just do it with the key, key fob and ecu or will the car need to taken to them?
Cheers for your help

The car will need taking to them as the ignition barrel is in your car and the chances of them having an EP3 lying around to do it on or them having the inclination to swap everything over... :lol:

Just be wary that if it now just has a standard ECU and not Kpro, you may find it doesn't run right and may have the EML on when it starts.

I had a mobile key reprogrammer come to do my car today, still no luck, he seems to think there's no communication somewhere along the line, personally he didn't seem to have a clue,
Anyways, looks like I'm going to need a kpro, don't suppose you know of any forsale?
Cheers

Is the key light flashing on the dash? Was the car definetly running with the old engine?

Ive done a kswap on my ep2, so if you want to know anything you can pm me.

Yeah, key light flashing, I'm not sure if it was running as I bought it with a blown engine, the only things different from previous owner is engine and he had a kpro on it
Cheers
Callum

Oh fair enough. Instead of buying a kpro, you can always buy a standard type r ecu, lockset and key from ebay as a cheaper option?

I know of a set forsale, £20 a mate of mine breaks them, I wanted a kpro anyway but wasn't planning on getting one yet, are you running a kpro?

Thats very cheap!..Not atm, but I will do next month, I bought a written off typeR and just swapped everything over, was a straight forward conversion tbh, I did have to buy mounts from america and a conversion harness though

Yeah I get what you mean, but ecu wise, your just using ep3 ecu, Ignition barrel, immobiliser and transponder?
Cheers for your help

Back