• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 4-2-1 with custom cat setup

Hi guys, first post but have been lurking for a while.

My manifold is cracked and needs either welding or replacing. I would love a 4-2-1, but want to retain a cat (unless I do a track day etc)

Would this work as a solution....

Keep the cat by mounting it AFTER the 4-2-1 and cut and weld a new flange on to the catback to fit it to. Extending the wiring for the 2nd lambda so it will reach?

The only issues I can think of are whether the cat will be too far back (been advisedthst they should be as close as possible to engine) and whether there is enough room under the car near the start of the catback to fit the cat, sensor and flange.

What do you think?

Cheers, Ben

I've read of pie trying, but due to the cat being so far back it won't get up to temp and pass emissions regs. Most popular solution is to source a dc5 4-2 and 2-1 manifold and cat, this gives better flow than the ep3 4-1.

I was planning to go this route, but decided on the dc sports 4-2-1 option instead.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Solid Fabrication make a 4-2-1 manifold with a sports cat option.
Sports catalytic converters will bring on the EML with a catalyst inefficient fault. As does the DC5 set up as it's not quite as efficient as the standard one. All of them should pass MOT emissions.
Standard catalytic converter is a big unit, further back there won't be enough floor space to fabricate it into the exhaust system.
Or just run a 'race' manifold and find a 'friendly' MOT tester....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could always go for the DC Sports mani with sports CAT but not sure how well they last year on year.

Back