• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 53plate facelift problems please help

Hi wondering if anyone can help me,

My facelift 53 plate type r is misfiring when I turn on the ignition, it does not happen all the time but when it does it takes a good 10 seconds to start.

Also the vtec when engaged kicks in around 6 or 7 thousand revs I don't know if this is suppose to happen or it's suppose to kick in a little earlier. When it does kick in the engine shakes.

Last but not least my speedometer sometimes stops and gets stuck in a way. For example I was doing 80mph the other day and when I started breaking instead of going down gradually it stays at 80 then jumped down To 40.. I do know know if this speedometer problem would also affect my vtec kicking in late.. (Also speedometer when I was driving would not go past 80)

Thanks

For the misfiring I would start with looking at your coil packs and spark plugs, I think you can try swapping them round someone said. Not too sure about your speedo I'm afraid. The vtec on any standard ep3 civic should kick in at 5800 revs.

Starting sounds like plugs but could be anything ignition.

Shake with vtec, could be engine mount

Late vtec, check oil level my only guess on that

Cheers for the quick replies..

I purchased the car a few days ago, the owners said it had just been serviced a week before and also had
The valve clearances done..

Will check the engine mount..

Yeah so i changed the spark plugs, the old ones looked quite new so i didnt think this would be the problem.

Sometimes the car will tick over straight away or after a couple clicks. But earlier on it took around 10/15 seconds for it to turnover, maybe starter motor or fuel filter?

Also the vtec definitely feels like it kicks in later and does feel as smooth as my mates one. Slightly hesitant in the rev range.
Its been plugged in with no fault codes coming up. But it does feel like a sensor or something is holding it back.

The lad i bought it off said twhe valves had been re adjusted. Could this be the problem.

Did you check the oil?
Does it have the right plugs in?
The valve clearances, done on a cold engine?

One more to go. ;)

Loxy what do you mean by this. Shall i get the cam and crank sensors checked tmrw. What about the vtec solenoid?
The more i drive it. The more i realise there isnt really a vtec. It just goes through the revs

i wouldn't just go buy a sensor as there expensive i did that few months ago thinking mine had bad sensors wasted £190 it ended up being the timing chain had skipped teeth so id have it properly looked at first by a mechanic or a m8 who knows about cars

Back