• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 6 year service - on 50k at moment

JMR

TRO Supporter
What sort of prices are people getting for the 6 year 75k service from HONDA.

I am told it is
Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Gearbox Oil
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs

and the usual checks and adjustments.

Been quoted £450 from my local Honda dealer.
Every service has been done by them, and they supplied the car.

I'm happy to take it there, of course, just wondering if I can use any ammo as leverage to reduce their price. They knocked me a token £15 off.

Said the big factor is the spark plugs and fitting which bumps the price up quite a bit.

50k service will include the valve clearances/adjustments so they will need the car for the day, possibly even the night before, to let the engine get stone cold.

The reason the service is so high is because of the labour for the clearances.

6 year service should also include the brake fluid, as it should be changed every 3 years regardless of mileage. Reason being it is hydrotropic, i.e. absorbs moisture, and so needs replacing after time.

At the 6 year service I think they will also check the chain tensioner. It used to be a replace job, but they've life'd it now IIRC.

£450 seems a fair price.

Is there a difference between Hydrotropic and Hydrophilic as I always call it Hydrophilic? :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrophile

A hydrophile, from the Greek (hydros) "water" and φιλια (philia) "love," is a molecule or other molecular entity that is attracted to, and tends to be dissolved by water. A hydrophilic molecule or portion of a molecule is one that has a tendency to interact with or be dissolved by water and other polar substances.[1][2] This is thermodynamically favorable, and makes these molecules soluble not only in water, but also in other polar solvents. There are hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts of the cell membrane.
A hydrophilic molecule or portion of a molecule is one that is typically charge-polarized and capable of hydrogen bonding, enabling it to dissolve more readily in water than in oil or other hydrophobic solvents. Hydrophilic and hydrophobic molecules are also known as polar molecules and nonpolar molecules, respectively. Some hydrophilic substances do not dissolve. This type of mixture is called a colloid. Soap, which is amphipathic, has a hydrophilic head and a hydrophobic tail, allowing it to dissolve in both waters and oils.
An approximate rule of thumb for hydrophilicity of organic compounds is that solubility of a molecule in water is more than 1 mass % if there is at least one neutral hydrophile group per 5 carbons, or at least one electrically charged hydrophile group per 7 carbons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrotrope

A hydrotrope is a compound that solubilises hydrophobic compounds in aqueous solutions. Typically, hydrotropes consist of a hydrophilic part and a hydrophobic part (like surfactants) but the hydrophobic part is generally too small to cause spontaneous self-aggregation.
Hydrotropes do not have a critical concentration above which self-aggregation 'suddenly' starts to occur (as found for micelle- and vesicle-forming surfactants, which have a critical micelle concentration or cmc and a critical vesicle concentration or cvc, respectively). Instead, some hydrotropes aggregate in a step-wise self-aggregation process, gradually increasing aggregation size. However, many hydrotropes do not seem to self-aggregate at all, unless a solubilisate has been added. Hydrotropes are in use industrially. Hydrotropes are used in detergent formulations to allow more concentrated formulations of surfactants. Examples of hydrotropes include sodium p-toluenesulfonate and sodium xylene sulfonate.
The term hydrotropy was originally put forward by Carl Neuberg[1] to describe the increase in the solubility of a solute by the addition of fairly high concentrations of alkali metal salts of various organic acids. However, the term has been used in the literature to designate non-micelle-forming substances, either liquids or solids, organic or inorganic, capable of solubilizing insoluble compounds.
The chemical structure of the conventional Neuberg’s hydrotropic salts (proto-type, sodium benzoate) consists generally of two essential parts, an anionic group and a hydrophobic aromatic ring or ring system. The anionic group is obviously involved in bringing about high aqueous solubility, which is a prerequisite for a hydrotropic substance. The type of anion or metal ion appeared to have a minor effect on the phenomenon[1]. On the other hand, planarity of the hydrophobic part has been emphasized as an important factor in the mechanism of hydrotropic solubilization[2][3]
Additives may either increase or decrease the solubility of a solute in a given solvent. These salts that increase solubility are said to ‘salt in’ the solute and those salts that decrease the solubility ‘salt out’ the solute. The effect of an additive depends very much on the influence, it has on the structure of water or its ability to compete with the solvent water molecules.[4] A convenient quantitation of the effect of a solute additive on the solubility of another solute may be obtained by the Setschetow equation:[5]
bcd627aa29b191273617f11ffda098c1.png
; where S0 = solubility in the absence of the additive S = solubility in the presence of the additive Ca = concentration of the additive K = salting coefficient, which is a measure of the sensitivity of the activity coefficient of the solute towards the salt.
I'm still lost. :confused:

It's silly o'clock. :lol:

50k service will include the valve clearances/adjustments so they will need the car for the day, possibly even the night before, to let the engine get stone cold.
The reason the service is so high is because of the labour for the clearances.
6 year service should also include the brake fluid, as it should be changed every 3 years regardless of mileage. Reason being it is hydrotropic, i.e. absorbs moisture, and so needs replacing after time.

£450 seems a fair price.

I had the valve clearances done 5k ago at Honda.
As for the others, on Honda's list, yes they are all required other than the gearbox oil.

Service schedule says 75k miles or 8 years.
I've done 50k on 6 years.

Dont know whether it is worth telling them not to do it.
If they can reduce the price for not doing the valve clearances I will be happy.

Someone said this is a £100 job on its own ???

The valve clearances are a 1 hour job which shouldn't cost any more than £100 max mine cost £80 at my local Honda garage :)

If I was you I would buy the plugs seperately and just get Honda to fit them. Stealers rip you off should save you some money.

Well, I spoke to Honda today and told them I didnt need the Valve Clearances checking/adjusting, no air filter, no pollen filter.

Price came down to £350 all in.

Though she did say the Spark Plugs are £80 alone, without fitting!!
What is the exact spark plug I need, I might as well take them in and save myself £40 or so.

Been in for the service this morning.

They ended up doing the air filter, pollen & dust filter and put me Fully Synthetic 5w30 oil in and a litre of top up in a nice Shell Ultra Extra 'boot' bag for free!
Still worked out at £350

Only problem I have is both front and rear f/s anti roll bar drop links have broken!!!

Replacements £170 for the job lot inc parts and labour.
The car didnt seem to be making any noises or handling rough - probably just one of those things with age/fatigue.

£80 for spark plugs. :lol:

Most dealers are tw@ts.

True.
I could get hold of them for about £40 or so. Spark plugs that is, not dealers lol.

To be fair my local Honda dealer is pretty good.
Sit in the service managers office having a coffee while they sort my paperwork out - really really helpful as long as I've been going there.

They always do me a bit of a deal on servicing price and repairs, and that I know I can trust them with my car puts me at ease.

They treat you like a customer should be treated.
Cant imagine going anywhere else tbh.

Back