• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 big brake kit fitment

Hi guys I'm looking at big brake kits for my ep3 at the moment and quite fancy a set of wildwood 4 pots. I've seen the kit I'd like but it's listed for a civic si.

Application: Honda Civic Si (5 stud) - 2004
Caliper Type: Dynalite
Lug/Radial: L
Disc Size (Diam x Width): 310 x 21
Possible Wheelsize (Inches): 15/16
Spare Disc Part No.: 160-7103/160-7104

what I was wondering is are there any major differences between the si and the type r when it comes to the braking system. My ep3 is a 2004 and so is the kit that's listed. What I wasn't sure about was are the mounting holes the same size and distance apart for the carriers. Any info on this would be really helpful.

In all honesty I think your best bet would be to drop them an email.

There won't be many people that will have had an EP3 and Si side by side to compare. I'm sure someone will have fit this kit, but I don't know of anyone who has on an EP3.

Cheers for the reply mate. I've already emailed the company selling the kit but they Also said they didn't know if it fits the type r as they didn't know if there's any differences between the two models.

Any news?

I'm also wondering if it would fit... espcecially with standard wheels w/o spacers.

Hi there

What I know,US Civic Si using 4 lug not 5 lug brake disc,Si have 4X100 and EP3 Type R 5X114.3,main difference is in disc size OE Si using 262mm discs and EP3 using 300mm,I'm just not sure if hubs are same or not,if yes then you will be able fit those Wilwood on yours EP3,but still you will need be sure they(Wilwood) supplying 4X100" brake discs/rotors or they're too for 5X114.3"

You will be better off get Wilwood which are for S2000,as S2K using same discs as EP3 and hub should be same as EP3,but still I would ask people around

Thanks,Jura

The '04-'05 Si models have 5 lug brake (5x114,3) and also there is a specific set offered by Wilwood. http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-7014

That's correct,but still not sure if they fit UKDM Type R knuckle/hub...

Second bit which is concerning mostly me,are they better than stock brakes or Brembo,some people are happy,some are very disappointed with Wilwood Dynalite,really depends for what reason they're bought them,if they're been bought for track work(track days etc) then you will be better with Brembo and good pads such as Pagid RS4 or Performance Friction range,Carbotech,Carbone Lorraine or Ferodo DS 2500(those pads should work nicely on EP3,just due EP3 is lighter and I've tried them on heavier cars and on those cars hasn't been so good)

Thanks,Jura

That's correct,but still not sure if they fit UKDM Type R knuckle/hub...

Second bit which is concerning mostly me,are they better than stock brakes or Brembo,some people are happy,some are very disappointed with Wilwood Dynalite,really depends for what reason they're bought them,if they're been bought for track work(track days etc) then you will be better with Brembo and good pads such as Pagid RS4 or Performance Friction range,Carbotech,Carbone Lorraine or Ferodo DS 2500(those pads should work nicely on EP3,just due EP3 is lighter and I've tried them on heavier cars and on those cars hasn't been so good)

Thanks,Jura

Well tbh, I don't have any experience with BBKs, but I have the feeling that it is not easy to judge the brake calipper it self, as the stopping power mostly depends on the pads. You actually just need the multi pot brake to have an even distribution of the forces applied, although a six or eight pot brake also has pads with bigger surface which can contribute to better stopping power. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well tbh, I don't have any experience with BBKs, but I have the feeling that it is not easy to judge the brake calipper it self, as the stopping power mostly depends on the pads. You actually just need the multi pot brake to have an even distribution of the forces applied, although a six or eight pot brake also has pads with bigger surface which can contribute to better stopping power. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi there

Off course depends on pads,you can have best caliper on the market,but if you will be using sh1t pads then,then you can't expect miracles

Multi pot brakes,this varies,take as instance K-Sport 8 pots,those brake calipers using same pads as AP 6pots,do they brake same or similar as AP 6pots with same pads and on same car,I would say from my personal experience no,K-Sport using smaller pistons than AP or even Subaru 4pots,pads are same or pretty similar but braking power with AP will be always better,I've run on Subaru Impreza K-Sport 8pots at front and 6pots at rear and stopping power has been OK,with right pads I would say has been awesome,but still hasn't been as with AP with same pad

Here is quote of guy(John Felstead) who tested all of them

With regards to the K sports, you may have 8 pots, but the surface area of those 8 pots is almost identical to the WRX 4 pot and less than OEM Brembo's. The K sports have two small leading pistons working on the area of the pad that provides the main performance of the pad, which will give less bite from the pad than the larger leading 4 pot piston. You will get a better performance from a 6 pot caliper with properly stepped differential pistons. The equivalent D2 6 pot caliper has larger piston surface area and a larger leading piston than the 8 pot K sport, so gives better initial bite and more brake force for the same pedal pressure.

AP 6 pots have better differential piston sizing than both the K sport and D2, with 3 piston sizes in use to ensure the pressure on the pad is well matched to the requirement to provide less taper wear and give a better match to the required pressure increase as you move away from the leading edge of the pad, which is where all the work occurs. The D2 6 pot has 2 small and 4 large pistons per caliper, so the pressure required is less well distributed than the AP, but not too far away, the K sport has 4 small and 4 large pistons per caliper, which gives a less even pressure match across the pad length. This means the AP will give the better brake feel and modulation, with the D2 6 pot next, the K sport a bit further away.

With regards to piston surface area, pad surface and the total brake torque resulting from that, on a 330mm disk the D2 6 pot gives the most total brake torque, K sport next and then the AP 6 pot last. None of these give as much brake torque as a Brembo OEM caliper on a stock newage disk. Even a 356mm AP 6 pot kit gives less brake torque than an OEM Brembo setup. Where the AP, D2 and K sport win is in handling the elevated temperatures seen on track.

There are differences throughout the Subaru range with regards to the master cylinder bore size, and also pedal ratio, this will also influence the amount of force required at the pedal to give the required brake force. So a brake kit on a classic will work differently on a Newage STi, Newage WRX or Legacy. And we haven't touched on brake balance matching for the rears, or the way the ABS system will work when you change that balance.

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Off course depends on pads,you can have best caliper on the market,but if you will be using sh1t pads then,then you can't expect miracles

Multi pot brakes,this varies,take as instance K-Sport 8 pots,those brake calipers using same pads as AP 6pots,do they brake same or similar as AP 6pots with same pads and on same car,I would say from my personal experience no,K-Sport using smaller pistons than AP or even Subaru 4pots,pads are same or pretty similar but braking power with AP will be always better,I've run on Subaru Impreza K-Sport 8pots at front and 6pots at rear and stopping power has been OK,with right pads I would say has been awesome,but still hasn't been as with AP with same pad

Here is quote of guy(John Felstead) who tested all of them

With regards to the K sports, you may have 8 pots, but the surface area of those 8 pots is almost identical to the WRX 4 pot and less than OEM Brembo's. The K sports have two small leading pistons working on the area of the pad that provides the main performance of the pad, which will give less bite from the pad than the larger leading 4 pot piston. You will get a better performance from a 6 pot caliper with properly stepped differential pistons. The equivalent D2 6 pot caliper has larger piston surface area and a larger leading piston than the 8 pot K sport, so gives better initial bite and more brake force for the same pedal pressure.

AP 6 pots have better differential piston sizing than both the K sport and D2, with 3 piston sizes in use to ensure the pressure on the pad is well matched to the requirement to provide less taper wear and give a better match to the required pressure increase as you move away from the leading edge of the pad, which is where all the work occurs. The D2 6 pot has 2 small and 4 large pistons per caliper, so the pressure required is less well distributed than the AP, but not too far away, the K sport has 4 small and 4 large pistons per caliper, which gives a less even pressure match across the pad length. This means the AP will give the better brake feel and modulation, with the D2 6 pot next, the K sport a bit further away.

With regards to piston surface area, pad surface and the total brake torque resulting from that, on a 330mm disk the D2 6 pot gives the most total brake torque, K sport next and then the AP 6 pot last. None of these give as much brake torque as a Brembo OEM caliper on a stock newage disk. Even a 356mm AP 6 pot kit gives less brake torque than an OEM Brembo setup. Where the AP, D2 and K sport win is in handling the elevated temperatures seen on track.

There are differences throughout the Subaru range with regards to the master cylinder bore size, and also pedal ratio, this will also influence the amount of force required at the pedal to give the required brake force. So a brake kit on a classic will work differently on a Newage STi, Newage WRX or Legacy. And we haven't touched on brake balance matching for the rears, or the way the ABS system will work when you change that balance.

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura
Huh, very nice post!:greatpost:

Back