• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 brake setup

My standard brakes are in a bad way... There's very little feel through the pedal and they're squeeky as hell, they probably just need a general freshening up but my question is, should i get new pads, discs, lines and fluid or should i hold out and try to get DC5 brembo upgrade? is there much difference between the two?

No need for Brembos then.

New discs, pads and fluid will be a massive improvement.

I'd suggest OEM parts, or if you want a decent improvement - OEM discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads

No one on the MLR uses them anymore. I don't use them anymore either after trying other much better brands for the same price, and sometimes cheaper.

No need for Brembos then.

New discs, pads and fluid will be a massive improvement.

I'd suggest OEM parts, or if you want a decent improvement - OEM discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads

Nice one Partyvan, i was thinking Brembos because i wasnt sure if OEM parts would make much difference to what its like now. Glad to hear it will be a big improvement.

DS2500 are good for a fast road pad. They can take some abuse but on track it's not hard to get them to fade. You'll probably find a pad slightly cheaper like EBC yellow stuff will give similar performance.

No one on the MLR uses them anymore. I don't use them anymore either after trying other much better brands for the same price, and sometimes cheaper.

MLR? Not sure what relevance a heavier, 4wd car is to the topic of a Civic.

If you actually read people's opinions on the DS2500 you'll see they are overwhelmingly impressive pads.

Nice one Partyvan, i was thinking Brembos because i wasnt sure if OEM parts would make much difference to what its like now. Glad to hear it will be a big improvement.

If your brakes are heavily worn and on old fluid, fitting new OEM parts and fluid will put them back to how they should be.

It would be a different matter if you tracked it :) I spent nearly £2k on front brakes (including DS2500 pads) for track.

MLR? Not sure what relevance a heavier, 4wd car is to the topic of a Civic.

If you actually read people's opinions on the DS2500 you'll see they are overwhelmingly impressive pads.
Most of said people have never tried anything else apart from OEM, so of course they're going to fair well. The DS2500 is well over ten years older now, things like Dixcel pads, Project Mu, Brembo themselves, Carbotech etc all have much better pads that don't ruin discs with deposits like DS2500 have a habit of doing.

I've tried DC2500 a few times and many other pads, so I think I'm well qualified to comment on the matter.

What are the Project Mu NS400 pads like compared to Ferodo DS2500?

I have been using DS2500 for a number of years and they do tend to have a high disc wear rate to them from what i have experienced. The dust off of them is mental as well.

My standard brakes are in a bad way... There's very little feel through the pedal and they're squeeky as hell, they probably just need a general freshening up but my question is, should i get new pads, discs, lines and fluid or should i hold out and try to get DC5 brembo upgrade? is there much difference between the two?

You'll want to check your pistons aren't sticking as well as they could be contributing to the squeaking noise.

DS2500 are good for a fast road pad. They can take some abuse but on track it's not hard to get them to fade. You'll probably find a pad slightly cheaper like EBC yellow stuff will give similar performance.

I'd disagree with you there. I've tried OEM, yellow stuff and DS200 pads on my brothers Seat Leon Cupra R (225) which uses Brembo calipers on the front. The best out of the 3 for fast road driving was the DS2500's. The yellow stuff didn't have anywhere near the stopping power and faded much easier. The price difference between the Yellow Stuff and DS2500 was only about £30. But the DS2500's are definitely more dusty than the other 2. There maybe a better alternative, but these are the 3 pads we've tried on his car so far. Might try some Carbon Lorraine's next.

The Dixcel ES pads are brilliant all round for example, they will outperform a DS2500 but cost less, have less dust, less noise and just more civilised all round.

Back