• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 burning oil?

Hi all,
I’ve recently had my engine in and out and drained the oil. I’ve since put the engine back in and restocked the oil to full but have noticed it is now under the minimum line after only 20-25 miles of driving (normal everyday driving, not racing etc) - there are no oil leaks anywhere, so my question is what could be causing such a big loss in oil?
Any help much appreciated
Thanks

Hi,
In general there are several possibilities for the loss of oil.
With respect, are you certain that you filled to the top line on the dipstick? Sometimes you can forget. I have had a car from a service with oil less than full.
Have you noticed any black smoke either all the time or after having reapplied the gas? Either oil is passing the pistons or the valves. However to burn 1+ litres in 25 miles the engine would be burning oil all the time so you would notice.
Have you checked you radiator overflow tank for oil? The head gasket could be split allowing oil to pass into the coolant.
Hope this helps.

Hi,
In general there are several possibilities for the loss of oil.
With respect, are you certain that you filled to the top line on the dipstick? Sometimes you can forget. I have had a car from a service with oil less than full.
Have you noticed any black smoke either all the time or after having reapplied the gas? Either oil is passing the pistons or the valves. However to burn 1+ litres in 25 miles the engine would be burning oil all the time so you would notice.
Have you checked you radiator overflow tank for oil? The head gasket could be split allowing oil to pass into the coolant.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response, will take that into consideration - I’ve recently had the bottom end rebuilt so I’m trying to work out if it could be something to do with the job or an underlying issue

Thanks for the response - I’ll check the filter also
What I am saying is, the filter and pump itself can hold quite a bit of oil. If you filled it, checked the dipstick and it was full then drove the car, the level has probably decreased as the filter and pump would take a bit. Top it up then monitor.

What I am saying is, the filter and pump itself can hold quite a bit of oil. If you filled it, checked the dipstick and it was full then drove the car, the level has probably decreased as the filter and pump would take a bit. Top it up then monitor.
Understood - thanks again

Back