• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 Centre Console Wrap

Now I know there are plenty of threads about where people have posted their centre console pics when they have wrapped/painted them, however a lot of people are running bright colours like reds, whites and yellows - personally I am not a fan.

I am looking to attempt this soon during the Christmas break and am a bit stuck as to what shade of black I should go for. Ideally I want it to blend in with the dashboard, so that it looks like it has come from factory as one colour. What does everyone think will be the best match? Don't want it glossy black, maybe satin? Thought about going carbon but again I want it subtle so the least noticeable difference between this and the dash.

If anyone has painted/wrapped in black, please post some pics and state what colours been used, that would be much appreciated!

This was from my last ep3, but I plan on doing the same with this one, I have double din now too.
But the stereo facia wasn't painted to match in case you were wondering.

e67xy0.jpg

21c8tw4.jpg

Also a very faded gear gaitor which was ready for replacement

This was from my last ep3, but I plan on doing the same with this one, I have double din now too.
But the stereo facia wasn't painted to match in case you were wondering.

e67xy0.jpg

21c8tw4.jpg

Also a very faded gear gaitor which was ready for replacement

That looks extremely smart and probably the best colour I have seen which matches the dash, am I right in saying that in real life isit the same?

Cheers for that mate, I take it you painted it and not wrap?

Yeah that's painted, yes it looked like that in person too.

I have just bought another can to do it to my current ep3.

The finish was fine without primer also and lasted around 18 months perfect until I sold it.

I just went over the dash with p600 then p800 before painting.

hycote-matt-black-87-p.jpg

It goes on really nice too, almost self levelling like hammerite. Dark & glossy at first, then is touch dry & matt in 10-15 mins

Yeah that's painted, yes it looked like that in person too.

I have just bought another can to do it to my current ep3.

The finish was fine without primer also and lasted around 18 months perfect until I sold it.

I just went over the dash with p600 then p800 before painting.

hycote-matt-black-87-p.jpg

It goes on really nice too, almost self levelling like hammerite. Dark & glossy at first, then is touch dry & matt in 10-15 mins

Thanks for the info mate, top stuff I may give this a try... although I would prefer to wrap it but I cant find any in this colour.

So you just sanded it down and then straight paint, no lacquer either?

No laquer, wasn't sure how it would affect the finish which I was happy with, could always try some matt lacquer with it, but never got on with matt lacquer.

sand, paint, fit.

It didn't react with the paint/lacquer already on the dash which was the main thing

Don't forget to take the vents out and paint well in there too.

As I thought when the vents went back in you wouldn't see it anyway but you do!
I had to take the dash out again to repaint.

If you want to wrap then just try a matt black wrap, but a lot of wraps can bubble up and peel around the 3 buttons (rear window heater, Ac, air recirc)
If done properly they might not peel, just what iv read.

No laquer, wasn't sure how it would affect the finish which I was happy with, could always try some matt lacquer with it, but never got on with matt lacquer.

sand, paint, fit.

It didn't react with the paint/lacquer already on the dash which was the main thing

Don't forget to take the vents out and paint well in there too.

As I thought when the vents went back in you wouldn't see it anyway but you do!
I had to take the dash out again to repaint.

If you want to wrap then just try a matt black wrap, but a lot of wraps can bubble up and peel around the 3 buttons (rear window heater, Ac, air recirc)
If done properly they might not peel, just what iv read.

Cheers for that advice, will consider when doing mine. Yeah i did look into the matt black wrap, but I dont want it to be noticeable against the colour of the rest of the dashboard, if you get what i mean. I want it to blend in as if it were like that from factory, did you also try to go for that look?

Hmmm.. i have also read that being the issue with wrapping. When you planning to do it again bud? When you do it, it would be great if you can take some pictures of the whole process and before and after pics with it on and off the car, will be interested to see more close up before fitting.

Did you also do the door handle cards?

Yeah iv done the door handle inserts, take 5 mins including prep lol

I was trying to get it as close to rest of the dash as possible to blend as I feel the silver is a little OTT
Not keen on the gloss black as its a nightmare to keep looking good with finger prints etc.

But being black like the rest of the dash you notice dust speckles which went unnoticed with silver.

Im hoping to get a chance to do it over my xmas break, depends how busy I am.

If you don't have experience with rattle cans, and you end up going on too thick with runs etc, then its just a case of waiting for it to dry and sanding the run back and painting over.
Just go steady and build up the layers, although you can go a little heavier than with most paints as it does tend to almost self level!

It will never 100% match the rest of the dash due to the dash not being painted and being a different texture so will always reflect the light differently

Yeah iv done the door handle inserts, take 5 mins including prep lol

I was trying to get it as close to rest of the dash as possible to blend as I feel the silver is a little OTT
Not keen on the gloss black as its a nightmare to keep looking good with finger prints etc.

But being black like the rest of the dash you notice dust speckles which went unnoticed with silver.

Im hoping to get a chance to do it over my xmas break, depends how busy I am.

If you don't have experience with rattle cans, and you end up going on too thick with runs etc, then its just a case of waiting for it to dry and sanding the run back and painting over.
Just go steady and build up the layers, although you can go a little heavier than with most paints as it does tend to almost self level!

It will never 100% match the rest of the dash due to the dash not being painted and being a different texture so will always reflect the light differently

I just put in my single din fascia and headunit, I was planning on doing this sooner then later but I probably will do this when I throw in a double din so maybe in couple months time.

Yeah I know it wouldnt exactly match, i just want it to be subtle so that it blends in with rest of the dash. I personally dont like the glossy black look, too shiny for me and isnt subtle. I did wanna go carbon initially but i think it is quite common, but still an option.

Get some pics when you do it mate - thanks for your replies!

I will get some whilst doing it, but the finish will be same as in those pics.

I did do a 3m dri-noc carbon wrap initially but didn't like it and the weave from the lower piece didn't quite line up with that in the top half so binned it.

the only other finish I would consider is hydrodipped carbon

Have you thought about a carbon wrap?

Some me of the 4d and 5d ones out now look high quality

Back