• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Coilover Headache

Evening all, hope you're well

Really hoping someone can shed some light on a current issue I'm having. I bought myself some used KW coilovers a few month back and finally got round to fitting them last weekend. Car is sitting as I wanted and the handling has improved dramatically.

Now for the bad part. Since fitting them I'm suffering with a knock from the OSR. Only seems to happen at lower speeds over uneven ground if thats any help. Checked drop links and bushes and all seems well. Initially thought I may have assembled the coilovers incorrectly but after contacting KW (very helpful) and them supplying complete installation instructions via email. It's safe to say everything is as it should be.

The only things I can think of now are top mounts, which don't actually move a great deal due to it being a bush not a bearing. Or maybe I need to send the coilovers for an overhaul, which I have a feeling may cost more than a new set.

Any advice on this issue would be massively appreciated, iv had them off and apart every night this week after work trying to find a solution. Really considering just taking them back off and going back to standard, where knocks weren't a problem.

Thanks in advance

Swap the O/S/R with the N/S/R shock and see if the noise moves across the car. What's the condition of the lower shock bush? Everything fitted tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the clearance of the bottom bolt through the lower bush (lower arm)- needs to be an exact fit or it'll knock.... ;)

Thanks for the advice guys ** give the swapping sides a shot tonight. As for the clearance with regards to the lower bush it's a, shall we say a snug fit. Not overly tight mind.

Could it be the exhaust knocking on the (now lowered) suspension?

If any of it looks close to rubbing, just wrap an old towel around it and go for a quick drive to see if the knocking stops.

** give it a go tomorrow partyvan. The knocking noise is almost identical to a drop link hanging off, yet both were replaced a few months ago. Clutching at straws here now

Is it possible the drop-links haven't been tightened enough or have managed to loosen? I had that issue on one side and it's not always obvious as there's no play in the joint itself but it knocks under movement as the bolt moves around in the hole of either the suspension arm or ARB.

The exhaust suggestion didn't work but thanks for trying help. ** double check drop links tomorrow but I'm pretty sure they should be ok, I replaced them a few month ago.

Back