• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Coolant Flushing

I've owned my 03 plate EP3 CTR for about a month and a half now, but have only just noticed a shed load of rust under the rad cap. Picked up the ordinary civic Haynes manual to find out how to flush the coolant system and it recommends using a hose pipe to pump clean water through until it runs clean.

I'm also currently in an area with very hard water so concerned that flushing through with a hose pipe might cause problems when naturally some gets left in the system. Would I be better blowing compressed air through or possibly running a couple of drums of distilled/bottled water from the shops instead?

If I'm finding tonnes of rust in the rad cap I'd rather do a full flush and clean to get it all out, I might be better off just draining and refilling the rad and overflow tank but I'd need some advice on whether that is sufficient. I was looking just now in the Haynes manual and in order to drain the block as well it tells me there is a bolt to the bottom right of the oil filter, but on looking just I cannot for the life of me find it. Where is the thing on the EP3? The owners manual mentions the bolt, but again gives no real suggestion as to where it is, and I cant for the life of me find any reference to it in the 02-03 shop manual..!

Back