• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3. Cut out while driving

Bough a 2005 ep3 three weeks ago done 60,000 miles. Two of those weeks it been back to the dealer I bought it from.

The problem is that in one 10 mile journey home it cut out on me doing between 20 -40 7 times. Almost like a stall. No engine management light but the key on the dash was flashing like when you turn off the engine and leave the key in.

Only happened when I went to accelerate and ussually as I was going up a hill. ( that might not be relevant)

Unsurprisingly the garage cannot find the fault or make it happen again.

Any advice would be great so if it does happen again when/if I get it back I can go back to them with a load of ideas.

Thanks.

Sounds like it could be immobaliser to me. Does the car fire up no problems after it cuts out or do you have to turn the key a few times to get it to crank over?

No problems at all. Starts fine.

If its the immobiliser what could cause it? It did have a dead battery when I first went to see it.

Thanks.

Could even try checking the immobiliser fuse to start with. I had an old car with intermittent problems not starting, immobiliser related. My local garage couldn't work it out. Turned out just to be a dodgy fuse wearing out. Bought a new fuse and it was perfect after that. Worth trying for the few pence it costs for a fuse.

Back