• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Ep3 engine problem

Having problems with my ep3 it's has a head gasket and timing chain change about 2 month ago.
I was driving the car abd it just cut out on me a local garage has diagnosed the problem as said the the rod the locks the cams in to engage vtec dropped out and jammed the camshaft and had then broke the timing chain glider so chain came of is this a result of my bad driving or is it something to di with the wt they put the engine back together. Also how much will it be to repair it is it cheaper to get another engine for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be as simple as "the rod that engages vtec dropped out and jammed the cam" as the K series has VTC as well as VTEC and the whole point of the VTC pin is to lock the cams. It only has one direction to go.

IMO whoever changed your chain may have made a balls of it and now another garage has misdiagnosed what happened.

What was the mileage before chain being changed?

Could also tell me is their a more powerful engine that will go straight in to the ep3 somebody has recommended k24 bottom end and k20 tip

I hope you're not considering footing the repair bill? IMO it sounds like the timing chain kit wasn't changed properly and it went pop while in VTEC.

That sounds right your lot the only person whose said that and everyone I've asked knows what theyr talking about is their another more powerful engine swap I've bin told with this swap and. Remap it'll be kiking out 250 bhp Is theyr anyway of getting it to 300 with out a supercharger

Bonito the problem is that it was my freind who did it abd I don't even know how to say it to him

Bonito the problem is that it was my freind who did it abd I don't even know how to say it to him

Is he a mechanic? Hard lesson learned then tbh. A friend of mine isn't a mechanic but has built/rebuilt a few engines (EJ20/EJ25/B18/Micra super turbo etc) He'd never do engine work for friends or family, only his own cars. None of his engines have gone pop yet.

Lots of horror stories recently of people buying cheap cam chains off eBay only for them to fail a few months later.

Yeah, I've heard some awful stories recently too. Incidentally, I was chatting to a mechanic today who said the 'genuine honda' chains and guides from Tegiwa are quite different to the ones his garage get directly from Honda.

Sorry to hear about your problems Imran. That sounds like an expensive fix, I hate to think what damage that has done. Complete EP3 engines can for around £1000, factor in the labour on that and you may as well try something different. I can't think of any other engines that would fit without a lot of work. The K24 Frankenstein builds are awesome, they are properly torquey for a Honda, though I don't think you'll reach 300 N/A without lots of money. Power tuning Hondas is not for the faint-hearted!

Thanks for the advice guys glad I joined the forum I'll
Guess I'll be sticking to the k24 build but which k24 goes best or is it all down to the ecu and remap

Garage probably put a cheap ebay chain on, heard of them only lasting a month!
genuine Honda chains are dark, whilst all the ebay ones are shiny.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Honda chain :
k9t8k4.jpg

Ebay chain:
2i0fbjr.jpg

Back