• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Ep3 engine reliably for track use

Hi guys
this is my first post so be kind lol.
Ive just bought a 52 plate ep3 to do some track days in and my question is how reliable are the engines for track use. Im asking this as I bought the car from a mate who blow the engine on track and replaced it with a second hand one. The car drive great and engine sounds great. It's got a exhaust system and air filter and a little air filter thing on the side of engine That's all in mods.

Thanks

It'll be fine as long as you look after it. I've done two sessions this year in my daily and just done a whole load of servicing to my track EP3 ready for it's first track day next month.

When you say your mate blew the engine, what exactly happened?

There's a few fundamentals you have to take note of when tracking a car.

1. Ensure oil is on max mark, with EP3's if you run semi-slicks fit a baffled sump.
2. Don't over rev the motor.

^Rev the motor as high as you want, just don't downshift too quickly and rev it over the limiter.

You can even run the oil a couple of milimetres over the full mark for track days. TDi recommended I did that.

^Rev the motor as high as you want, just don't downshift too quickly and rev it over the limiter.

You can even run the oil a couple of milimetres over the full mark for track days. TDi recommended I did that.

That's what I ment by over rev ;)

If you only plan on doing a couple of days a year, then yes you can get away with overfilling the oil slightly as to some people the cost of buying a baffled sump and fitting is kinda negated by the little track use. However it's always recommended as it's cheaper than a new engine.

If you're handy with the tools and mechanically minded, fitting a baffle/buffled sump isn't difficult, just time consuming.

Look after the engine and you can nail it all day long and it won't break down.
Simple things to avoid and do, as said, don't over rev it on a down shift. Learning to heel toe will also reduce strain on the engine and drive train. Avoid hitting the limiter on the way up the gears. Using a shift light will help avoid this. Make sure the oil is on the max mark all the time. Baffled sump isn't really needed unless you get semi slick tyres. But if you're going to be doing lots of track days, regardless of what type of tyres, get a baffled sump fitted for piece of mind.

Get your own sump baffled by someone who knows what they're doing. Like TGM.

Do the baffled sumps just drop into the sump pan or are the welded in?

You can get both types.

A Clockwise Motion drop in baffle, or you can get welded in plates.

I run a Clockwise baffle, as do many others, drop straight in, fitment is great, quality is great and works.

Yep, fitted a drop-in baffle to both my EP3's, piece of mind on the daily that I was using on the track and will see some more in the future and the track car which will see plenty of abuse on semi's.

Been doing trackdays for the last 10 years in my EP3 CTR's . Baffled sump is a must if you intend on tracking it alot and running semi slicks.
Also, worth checking your oil level each session ( after you have left engine to cool for a couple of mins ) and you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been doing trackdays for the last 10 years in my EP3 CTR's . Baffled sump is a must if you intend on tracking it alot and running semi slicks.
Also, worth checking your oil level each session ( after you have left engine to cool for a couple of mins ) and you should be fine.
where did you get the baffled sump from, did you fit it your self. I'm going to do 2/3 track days a year so is worth getting for this or is it still needed thanks

Mine is a Spoon baffled sump that I got from Spoon directly. See here : http://www.spoonsports.eu/spoon-products/honda-civic-ep3/11200-dc5-001.html , otherwise the clockwise motion baffled sump is very good as it is a proper baffled sump with gates etc and would recommend that one.
Deffo worth fitting even if only doing 2 or 3 trackdays a year just for peace of mind. For the sake of £250-350 for a baffled sump or s cost of a new engine it's a no-brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clockwise motion drop-in one can be done yourself but it's much easier if you have access to a ramp!

It depends how mechanically minded you are. It's not difficult at all, but is time consuming. The subframe needs lowered/ dropped, and you'll need a geometry setup after as well.

I'm new to EP3 and bought mine for a track day. Baffled sump
was one of the first mods I made after my mate blew his engine on his first track day as a result of not having one!

depends how much stick you're gonna give it, but if you plan to do one on a few months u May aswell just do it now, cost you no extra and much less risk of new engine then

I'm running a Clockwise baffle. As already mentioned, it's an easy fit if you're mechanically minded. I lowered the subframe onto my chest, which wasn't the most enjoyable experience. Probably have a friend help you.

Another thing to consider while the subframe is down, is suspension upgrades. Caster increase, extended ball joints etc, as you're going to need the geometry set.

Back