• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 engine ticking noise driver side seems to be coming from underneath

I have a ticking noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side underneath (bottom of the engine) I can't work out what it is car is on 86,000 miles going in Saturday for valve adjustment as need doing.

im just curious what this ticking noise is from underneath it's more noticeable when it's on idle and can only hear it from outside of the car , does anyone know if this is normal or something to worry about ?

Yeah isn't that more of a grinding noise though rather than ticking? It's not overly loud and the engine still pulls as it should just seems weird that it's coming from the bottom of the engine , been worrying it's the start of bottom end failure or something , oil has always been topped up I check it every week

Yeah isn't that more of a grinding noise though rather than ticking? It's not overly loud and the engine still pulls as it should just seems weird that it's coming from the bottom of the engine , been worrying it's the start of bottom end failure or something , oil has always been topped up I check it every week

Sorry my bad if its from passenger side and you push clutch down and it goes then its bearing. Drivers side will be hard to tell any ideas where bouts is it near one of the pulleys??? Only other thing i can say is get valves adjusted and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking it may be one of the pullys , it quite hard to explain if you put your head by the drivers side wheel you can hear it more, also when I had a listen underneath you can hear it asWell , from the top of the engine you can't hear it , it's only from underneath or by the drivers side wheel that you can hear it , sorry if I haven't explained it very well ,

I was thinking it may be one of the pullys , it quite hard to explain if you put your head by the drivers side wheel you can hear it more, also when I had a listen underneath you can hear it asWell , from the top of the engine you can't hear it , it's only from underneath or by the drivers side wheel that you can hear it , sorry if I haven't explained it very well ,

If its the wheel area then get both bottom pulleys inspected the under drive crank pulley and water pump. You will need someone to take the belt of and spin the pulleys to check for wear. One bottom pulley on mine is wearing as I can hear the whine noise between 2-2.5rpm.

Ok mate I'll get it checked on Saturday , I have the whine aswell at first I thought it may have been the alternator bearing , I'll probably just change the pulleys anyway and belt , and hopefully it'll fix the ticking noise and the whine! Thank you for the advice mate much appreciated

Ok mate I'll get it checked on Saturday , I have the whine aswell at first I thought it may have been the alternator bearing , I'll probably just change the pulleys anyway and belt , and hopefully it'll fix the ticking noise and the whine! Thank you for the advice mate much appreciated

No problem do not change the pulleys that don't need changing as you will waste money for no reason I have previously changed aux belt and idler pulley and the whine is still there. I also changed air con compressor unit and that didn't make any difference either. The bottom two is where the problem is. And if you need air con unit I have a spare one hope its a cheap fix. :D

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this was it a pulley or something else cheers.

Back