• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 engine whine & vibration?

Hello, I am new to the forum but I have used it before I joined to order my new bulbs etc. I have just bought my ep3 about 3 months ago after having no car for afew years.

First of all I have notice a whine around 2000-3000 revs but I have done abit of research and I think it's a characteristic of the engine isn't it?

Second issue is the vibration/grinding noise I getting. This is only happening in 2nd and 3rd, under heavy load. The only way I can describe it is, if I slow down behind a car to around 1500-2000 revs in 2nd or 3rd and then try to put my food down I get the vibration/grinding noise.

The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side and the noise goes if I press the clutch in, any ideas what it could be?

ivtec cover? Check it's clearing the intake manifold.

Other than that probably a heat shield. Do a search on here loads of posts like yours over the years.

If you have an induction kit, especially something useless like the K&n ones then the whine sound around 2000-3000 rpm could be from that. My mate complained about the same thing on his ep3, I put the oem airbox in and the problem was sorted. I will be doing the same on my civic.

As for the vibration, you might want to check the mounts. Not too sure about the grinding sound, try changing the transmission fluid, might sort the problem.

Back