• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 exhaust noise and rattle in rain

Hi so was raining heavy the other day and the exhaust on my Ep3 started making weird noises like it was popping.

Could feel my driver seat vibrating and felt like I lost a bit of power, has happened to me before in heavy rain. I have a aftermarket 2.5" catback exhaust system.

Would anyone know what is causing this issue and a possible fix.

Thanks

Do you know if you have an exhaust leak or not?

Here's a few possibilities:
Leak at the join between manifold and cat (or somewhere between cat and engine) letting in water
b-pipe touching the heat-shield

My guess would be a small leak, maybe the fire-ring's worn and letting water in.

How much does it have to be raining/how wet do the roads need to be, before this happens?

It's very common with aftermarket exhausts. Water kettles off the hot exhaust and with the gap between the exhaust and underneath the car being smaller die to the larger bore, it causes the exhaust to move and bounce off the floor pan. My Spoon B-pipe used to do it.

Search the forum for exhaust kettling.

Either get the b-pipe heat wrapped, fit very stiff exhaust hangar rubbers or fiddle with the exhaust hangars to get it to sit further away from the car. Only trouble with the latter is it will catch on speed humps more if you are also lowered.

It's very common with aftermarket exhausts. Water kettles off the hot exhaust and with the gap between the exhaust and underneath the car being smaller die to the larger bore, it causes the exhaust to move and bounce off the floor pan. My Spoon B-pipe used to do it.

Search the forum for exhaust kettling.

Either get the b-pipe heat wrapped, fit very stiff exhaust hangar rubbers or fiddle with the exhaust hangars to get it to sit further away from the car. Only trouble with the latter is it will catch on speed humps more if you are also lowered.

Hi thanks for the info. If i was to heat wrap the b-pipe would this be all ok in terms of the b-pipe corroding or anything like that.

Yep stainless steel

Same story mate I thought I had an issue and it's just the exhaust changing diameter with the heat changing from getting soaked with cold rain - sounds horrible but no real dramas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back