• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Facelift alarm problem

Hi all,

i know there is a huge amount of posts already about EP alarm faults, but it seems to always be the pre-facelift model with the H&P alarm fitted. My car is a 05 plate facelift, so was hoping for some advice....

For the last few months, ive been plauged by random alarm triggering. It usually happens in the middle of the night, but there has been one or two occasions where is has been in the evening ish. It usually stops itself after a 10/15 seconds or so, so I dont even get to stop it with my fob, but on the times I have got to the fob in time, unlocking the car does shut it off.

The first time it happened (that i am aware of at least) was the same evening that i had a lot of the bootlid trim off to fit a reversing camera, so is it likely that it is a problem with the boot lid sensor that i have caused? if so, does anyone know where that sensor is to check it, as i cant obviously see it. Also, if I do find it, how I might go about checking it....

In the event that the boot lid messing is just a coincidence, can anyone suggest any other things i can try? ive mostly just been leaving it unlocked every night to avoid it, but clearly that isnt really an ideal solution.

Also, if it cant easily be fixed, is there a way to just disble the alarm? I'd be happy to not have an alarm as long as i can leave it with locked doors and the immobiliser, but as far as i am aware, locking the doors with the key does also arm the alarm?

Any and all advice is massivly appriciated, cheers everyone.

Consider checking your battery condition and how tight/corrosion-free the connections are. Also look at your earth wires state. Winter can be harsh on batteries which can lead to things like this.

Also check that the wiring job you did isn't active when the power's off, a lot of alarms will check for voltage changes as a trigger and a sensor system that's active when the car is turned off could cause this. Also check the wiring for shorts to ground anywhere (is there exposed wire touching anything, is there a split in the cabling allowing moisture to enter, etc.)

Failing all of that, does anyone know of a way to simply disable the alarm system? As a said, im happy to just not have an alarm if for example, locking it manually with the key does NOT arm the alarm...?

Remove/disconnect/isolate the rear reversing camera. Check the function of the alarm after. If it’s ok then it’s something to do with the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider checking your battery condition and how tight/corrosion-free the connections are. Also look at your earth wires state. Winter can be harsh on batteries which can lead to things like this.

Also check that the wiring job you did isn't active when the power's off, a lot of alarms will check for voltage changes as a trigger and a sensor system that's active when the car is turned off could cause this. Also check the wiring for shorts to ground anywhere (is there exposed wire touching anything, is there a split in the cabling allowing moisture to enter, etc.)

This ^ , I had a issue last past few weeks with my alarm, mine was going off every 15 mins , through the night was a nightmare. Replaced the terminals on the battery (pennies) cleaned it up , Connected back together and since then no issues. Hope this helps you out.

Update -

Disconnected the reversing camera a while ago and the problem came back that same evening, so I ruled that out and plugged it back in.

Bonnet sensor was the next task, and when i got to the i noticed that it was pretty badly covered in gunk and road grime. Rather than cleaning i just decided to just disconnect it and tape it up, and so far, the problem has not come back (been about 4 weeks). So at this point, im feeling pretty confident that it was indeed just the bonnet sensor giving me grief.

Cheers for the advice, hope this helps someone else out at some point.

Update -

Disconnected the reversing camera a while ago and the problem came back that same evening, so I ruled that out and plugged it back in.

Bonnet sensor was the next task, and when i got to the i noticed that it was pretty badly covered in gunk and road grime. Rather than cleaning i just decided to just disconnect it and tape it up, and so far, the problem has not come back (been about 4 weeks). So at this point, im feeling pretty confident that it was indeed just the bonnet sensor giving me grief.

Cheers for the advice, hope this helps someone else out at some point.

Thanks for coming back and giving an update on this one. Far too often people start a thread and then dont finish it wit ha resolution.

Yeah, always annoying to read a thread that might help you out, then you find it left without any answers. I wanted to leave it at least a few weeks so i could be at least moderatly confident that the issue was solved before coming back to shout about it.

Yeah, always annoying to read a thread that might help you out, then you find it left without any answers. I wanted to leave it at least a few weeks so i could be at least moderatly confident that the issue was solved before coming back to shout about it.

Hi Alex, Anymore issues with the Alarm ?

Your answer reminded me of this :)

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

Nope, since disconnecting the bonnet sensor, I've enjoyed 2 months of uninterupted nights sleep. I've since reconnected the internal ultrasonic sensors too as I assumed they werent the cause (when I did the bonnet one I pretty much just went on a serial killer spree of unplugging every sensor I could find...) and all is still well in the world of my alarm/relationship with the neighbours.

Back