• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 FN2

Anybody gone from one to the other and could tell me which they think is the better car? I like them both and I'm unsure on which to go for

Cheers

This is what I said when I test drove the FN2 before I bought it. I had an EP3 at the time that I part-ex'd on it.

Obviously the test drive went well since I'm picking it up on Tuesday.

Anyhow my review of the FN2...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to an independent "Sports and Prestige" dealer who just gave me the keys and the trade plates and said there was a tenner in the tank...

Mixed emotions coming from the EP3. A lot of people have said the FN2 isn't a real Type R but a lot of people said the same about the EP3 when it was released.

Personally and rationally I think I've grown up, good thing or bad thing but I think the FN2 fits my needs. I will however dispell one myth right now. The FN2 is every bit as quick in a straight line as the UKDM EP3. Fair enough I didn't go side by side with an EP3 but I drove it on roads that I drive every day in my EP3 and the speedo gave the same figures point to point.

The seat height is a little higher on the FN2 than the EP3, which I can imagine gives the impression of the EP3 being faster, but there really isn't a lot in it.

I don't know about the rest of the country but it's been freezing up here recently, so I couldn't get the FN2 on it's door handles so to speak. It certainly gripped where it needed to and seemed a lot happier at high speeds than the EP3, less bounce and less twitchy. Saying that the steering at low speeds is properly weighted and very direct. Nice grippy wheel material as well compared to the EP3.

The engine note on a standard FN2 is great. Induction noise is much more noticeable than the EP3. I came out of an EP3 with a Spoon cat back and was instantly greeted with a lovely roar from under the bonnet. I couldn't hear much exhaust burbles or pops but I'm sure I'll cure that with an aftermarket in no time.

The gear box is every bit as good as in the EP3. Short lever and short throw and you just know when pushing on that it'll just drop into the next gear time and time again.

It's not really worth comparing the EP3 and FN2 on kit because with a FN2 in GT spec you get so many more toys over the EP3, I really did feel like I'd stepped back 4 years (literally) getting back in my EP3.

Don't get me wrong. The above sounds like I've been completely taken by the FN2. However I know for a fact that in a few months time I'll be thinking, "Should I have kept the EP3 and spent the money on mods?" and I think that's the question.

The EP3 is not and will never be an EK9, but what you get is an every day driver with the soul of a racer. It begs you to give it the beans and fling it into bends. Spend some money on it and it can become a stripped out track car, but in standard form it feels alive, it's got soul...

The FN2 IMO carries enough of this over to make it a brilliant car that is much more involving and committed than a Focus or Golf, while it still shares the every day comforts of those cars. However you can forget all that when you hit a piece of tarmac that you know well and plant your right foot. It might be a bit heavier and have bits you don't need in a street racer, but IMO it's still a every bit a Type R...

I've thought about moving to the FN2 but i decided to mod the EP3 but give me a year or 2 and i will probably have an FN2 just somthing a bit modern. i like both look wise but never drove an FN2. I don't see me going for anything else other than a honda.

i have been thinking about this too but will keep the ep for another year or 2 seen as though ive spent so much on it.

I went from an EP3 to a FN and haven't looked back... Loxy hit it on the head; pretty much everything I thought when I signed on the dotted line and said goodbye to the EP.

I went from an EP3 to a FN and haven't looked back... Loxy hit it on the head; pretty much everything I thought when I signed on the dotted line and said goodbye to the EP.

Really? I love the fn2 when it's lowered a bit on a nice set of rims, they've really grown on me!

I have had 4 ep3s and one fn2. In my opinion the fn2 is rubbish without independent rear suspension,the fn2 feels to slow and its a fair bit heavier than the ep3

i test drove the FN2 when i was looking for another car after my 1st ep3 back in 2006 ish

my exact words when the sales guy asked me how it was were 'its.... nice' as in 'boring'

i just didnt gel with it. it bored me. it was almost too 'refined' it was just dull. the excitement had gone.

to cheer me up they then offered me a test drive in an S2000 and that was a giggle, but silly on insurance so had to pass on that. (was double the price of a 3.2l boxster for me to insure)

what i will say about the FN2 was the drivers seat is a great place to be. everything is well designed, and surrounds the driver nicely. a proper cockpit. unfortunately the drive just didnt live up to it for me.

ended up buying a 350Z, had that for 3 years and then bought another ep3 :)

I went from an ep3 to an fn2 and looking back the ep3 looks dated now so doeS the Interior. The fn2 is nicer looks nicer sounds nicer and is every bit as quick. Much better range in the vtec too. Don't watch the top gear review its a load of bull. I loved my ep3 but the fn2 is on a different level

I love the ep3 and still gutted i sold mine a year ago to get my 1.4 08 plate civic (family) bit if i get another type r it will be the fn2 you gotta stay with the times ep3 is looking slightly dated inside

Tempted to switch from the ep3 to an fn2 but don't want to dip into the house deposit. Few years wait and the championship white edition, will be more affordable :lol:

Drive both and see which you like best. Its down to personal choice as both cars have positives and negatives.

Never owned an ep3 although have sat in them and driven them. I sound bias as I own the fn2 but from what i've gathered from experience the fn2 just is the better car and loxy's post is a perfect explanation to how. Anyone who owns an ep3 and is not sure really should just go and sit in an fn2......it's a different world and you'll understand why, at least you'll feel a little 'expensive' while still quick. Oh and of course generally, more people will be impressed by the fn2's presentation than the ep3's, especially a mugenised one HANDS DOWN.

when my wife sold her astra vxr, she wanted her ep3 back (that I had inherited from her). I thought the natural progression for me would
be to buy an FN2 so looked at half a dozen and drove 4. Eventually bought another ep3 for me.
Agree with the statement regarding the seats in the fn2, they are excellent and the driving position was superb, just didn't feel very exciting.
That said, I think that had I bought one, I would have fell in love with it after giving it a chance.
The other thing that put me off was most that I looked at either had the rust along the roof problem or were starting to be affected.
Even a facelift version.

Can still see me getting one next though !!!:)

I considered a FN2 when id had my EP3 for 4years. Loxy is spot on, the engine note, handling, gadgets etc are a great step up from the EP3, mine was a 2005 model and it felt very rough and basic when i got in it after the FN2.
I felt a lot happier to push right in to the big numbers in the FN2 than i ever did in mine.

Only reason i didnt buy one then was because i was offered a new company car.

Back