• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 - gears crunching after short shifter fitted

As per the title, I'm struggling with my gears since fitting my short shift kit.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am depressing the clutch fully.

I've read that it messes certain shifts up but not crunching , people have struggled with 2-3 and 4-5th I think it was.

i wonder If it stops the cables fully travelling

Perhaps that's right - not enough cable travel so my synchros are taking a hammering.

From memory it was 3rd to 2nd I was struggling with and maybe some others.

Lots of people have these short shifters and I don't really understand why? Not just on Type R's.

I'd pop back to the original one back on and be done with it.

It shortens the throw, makes it more precise and clicky... it's definitely a better feel other than the crunching.

Can't seem to have the best of both worlds

I really liked my on my old Astra Coupe , have you got the shifter bushes and cables bushes replaced as this is ment to be a good upgrade.

Maybe that's the issue its all uprated and a little stiff. Would be an idea to try and grease all linkages and make sure there travelling fully , see how far they travel with and without it.

I had a coupe Se2 , still want a nice mk4 888 or gsi , one on eBay now for 6200 that looks stunning

were you off AOC , I've been on there Since 2005

Same as the one Tegiwa sells but unbranded

Was I all gears or just some? I've got a tegiwa short shift in mine that was already fitted and when I'm shifting In to 4th on vtec it crunches every time but driving normally it's fine. I was thinking a new synchro but I might take the SS off and see if it helps.

Nevermind ive just read the whole thread it says 2nd 3rd, should i take it off though? A bit of a faf if it doesnt cure it

Back