• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 idling low on start up

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, over the past few months every now and then when I start my EP3 from cold its a bit juddery and will idle at around 500rpm rather than the usual 2000rpm. Once it's warmed up its then fine.

Yesterday it did this and I set off as normal only for the car to cut out half way home, the first time this has happened. Eventually I got going again after leaving it for about half an hour. Has anyone else ever come across this problem? I don't know where to start as there are no management lights on and it doesn't happen every time so I am reluctant to take it to a garage.

It is overdue a service so I was going to get that done and I've also had it suggested a new fuel filter?

I'd be greatful for any advice.

Thanks

Martin

A cold engine requires more fuel in order to hold an idle and not stall so your not getting enough fuel (or too much air). Possibly ECU related or injector issue hopefully someone else can offer more!

Could be the IACV (at least for the low idle issue), you might need to remove and clean it with something like carb cleaner. Worst case is that it requires replacement, though normally a good clean sorts a lot of problems.

IACV needs cleaning before looking at anything else. That and the cold air idle assist valve are the parts that get the cold start idle up to 2k from 500. (With the IACV and cold air valve blocked, and throttle closed a k20 will just about be able to idle around 450-500 with the air that leaks through.)

(Based on Previous experience - I had exactly the same issue last summer. It cuts out because the air is so much thinner when the outside air temp gets above 25 degrees the amount getting past the closer throttle just isn’t enough)

It gets bunged up if left standing for a week or two, or if it’s only doing short (mostly) low throttle driving.

Whilst I don’t disagree with the first answer, fuel quantities are calculated based on the airflow, so ruling out problems in the airways is always the first step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back