• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Loud Bang on Hard Acceleration

Guys,

I have a premier edition ep3 and I have experienced on three occasions a loud bang which sounds like it is coming from under the car on hard acceleration and shifting. The sound is like a loud clunk/bang. To explain the sound, it sounds like when a car seat hasn't been fully locked in when adjusting the position back and forth, or when something hits the underneath of the exhaust but on a louder scale.

I have had a quick read about this over the forums and it seems like its a common issue of a worn engine mount? Just wanted to clarify if it actually is an engine mount or whether it could potentially be a gearbox mount? What would be the symptoms of a worn gearbox mount and how to tell between the two.

Any input is much appreciated, thanks!

Back box knocking on rear anti roll bar or the underside of the car would be my first place to look.
There not a lot of room between the two.

It does seem like something could be moving, might be worth getting the car in the air and checking the exhaust for movement and the rubbers. Then if that's okay check the engine mounts, if either are moving a lot or quite easily then that'll likely be why you are hearing the banging.

Thank you for the replies, makes sense to eliminate the above before doing anything else. It doesn't usually happen on any other occasion, just when driving the car harder (even then it doesn't happen every time). Cheers

So my mechanic inspected the underneath of the car today, no play from the exhaust nothing seemed loose there although there is a cover on the mid section of the exhaust which had a broken clip so it was not together.. my mechanic spotted that the front gearbox mount was cracked though so I think this may be causing the loud bang? He also noticed a slight engine oil leak and said the crank seal needs replacing? I have never spotted any oil leaks on my drive/road so was surprised about this, but as this would be a huge labour cost job I want to be sure of it. Still young and learning dont have loads of knowledge so do excuse me for anything sounding silly - all input appreciated!

You can get powerflex gearbox mount inserts that are made of polyurethane and will keep your gearbox and mount from any excess movement without having to replace it. They are £14 on either carparts4less or eurocarparts. Can't remember they are both the same company but have different offers on each site.

You can get powerflex gearbox mount inserts that are made of polyurethane and will keep your gearbox and mount from any excess movement without having to replace it. They are £14 on either carparts4less or eurocarparts. Can't remember they are both the same company but have different offers on each site.

I have heard about these but will they work even if the gearbox mount has a crack? Also I am slightly confused, there is a lot of talk about top, engine and gearbox mounts all being interlinked, these are all different right? (Sorry for the silly q's lol).

There are four engine mounts, one to the front, one at rear and one each side.
Theres is the one gearbox mount, located under the air box. There are how to's on here how to fit it.
Is definitely a diy job if you can use a spanner

they even quote "improves and even restores broken mounts"
and a cheap fix.

There are four engine mounts, one to the front, one at rear and one each side.
Theres is the one gearbox mount, located under the air box. There are how to's on here how to fit it.
Is definitely a diy job if you can use a spanner

they even quote "improves and even restores broken mounts"
and a cheap fix.

Cheers :D

I had this issue when I had my clutch replaced a while back. Turns out the garage hadn't quite tightened one of the engine mounts properly, so there was slight play under hard acceleration and braking causing a loud knock. I only managed to crank the mount half a turn but that was enough to stop it and all was well again.

I had this issue when I had my clutch replaced a while back. Turns out the garage hadn't quite tightened one of the engine mounts properly, so there was slight play under hard acceleration and braking causing a loud knock. I only managed to crank the mount half a turn but that was enough to stop it and all was well again.

Interesting as the clutch was done by the previous owner back in August, will give it a go but from what my mechanics inspected, it seems like the gearbox mount has a crack..

Back