• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Modifications

Hi All,

I have got the EP3 booked in with TDI-North this Saturday to get the following installed....

- Injen CAI
- RBC Intake Manifold
- K100 ECU
- (and possibly) Japspeed de-cat pipe

Paul and Ben at TDI have been fantastic with all of their advice and the reputation of TDI sold itself.

I can't wait especially for the drive home (definitely will be taking the scenic route haha)

Will post the results from the dyno run over the weekend :)

whats the odds you scrap the sh-tty japspeed decat and go for a decat manifold?

i would.

Cheers dotty hope it makes the sort of difference I am hoping for, heard nothing but good things about TDI though :)

I would love a race manifold rm cya but it just seems a pain come MOT time because I dont have a friendly MOT tester at the moment, dont know whether to go de-cat pipe or just stick with the standard manifold and cat?? :(

You should be running 230 - 250bhp with those Mods. Paul is a wizard with the dyno.

Get the Manifold, worry about the MOT later.

I will see you in there if your there tomorrow as Im popping down for a quick chat.

Cheers for the post Tom and would be good to meet you tomorrow if you pop down, I am there from 9am onwards so facing an early start in the morning (bad timing weather wise haha)

When I originally spoke to Paul I was keen to keep the standard manifold and cat purely for MOT reasons and he thought I could still hit 230-235bhp with keeping that along with the injen CAI, RBC intake manifold and K100 ECU, after speaking to him more though the de-cat pipe seems a good compromise because Paul says its relatively easy to replace with the cat and I should still see pretty good gains. Not quite sure how much for the de-cat pipe alone??

What upgrades have you made to your EP3?

Decat is the way forward. A Cat really restricts the engine.

I went for similar mods to you at first, then it grew out of control.....

Have a look at my Build Thread in my Sig below "My EP3"

Just looked through your thread, thats one lovely motor youve built there mate, must have cost you a small fortune to build but looks and sounds like its been worth every penny.

Hope you do make it down to TDI tomorrow would love to have a look at it in the flesh so to speak, the de-cat pipe doesnt sound to much hassle to keep swapping over as i imagine its the same size and fit as the standard cat? did you ever go down that route in the early days and if you did how did you find it?

I read from your thread that youve hit some little issues along the way which is expected with the extensive work thats been carried out, as my EP3 is my daily drive is there anything i need to be aware of with the mods i have got booked in or will it run as smoothly and as reliable as it is now?

Its a straight swap, or so Im led to believe. I went in head first with a 4-2-1 Japspeed Manifold, but I know a friendly MOT Centre so Ive had no issues.

Ive really only had 2 big issues with the car, and both have been my own doing. First the Brakes wouldn't fit under the wheels, and nowhere I phoned had any longer studs for the EP3, so I had to wait 4 weeks for them to come from Japan.

The Second was the Oil Pressure Gauge sender, which was my fault for buying the cheaper T-Bar connection, instead of the expensive Sandwich plate.

The only thing you need to remember about the K20 engine is, keep your eye on the oil levels. K20's are bullet proof, as long as you dont let it run out of oil, and they do use oil quite a bit.

If it's just a straight swap I am heading towards getting it done, Paul has got me one in just incase and said we can discuss it in the morning, I get the feeling what he doesnt know about a honda isnt worth knowing haha.

If you are in tomorrow i might have to pick your brains over your friendly MOT centre :) bet that was frustrating with the brakes as i am sure i read you where told they would fit without and need to modify :(

I have to admit i am probably OTT when it comes to the oil and check it every couple of days, its reassuring to hear that the mods i am getting tomorrow have no negative effect on other engine parts, i have read that the k20's can easily take the sort of relatively small increase (compared to yourself) with all the stock internals.

Im getting rid of the Supercharger and fitting a TDi Turbo Kit which is capable of 500bhp on a stock K20.

If Ben is working tomorrow ask him to show you his EG, Stock K20 running 500bhp, he might even take you out in it.

Between them, the lads at TDi know pretty much all you need to know about Civic's. They are all a great group, you don't have to sit in the waiting room for hours on end, you can watch what they are doing, ask questions and happily chat away.

500bhp on a stock K20 sounds ridiculous (in a good way haha) its amazing how much these engines can make from their original setup and the reputation of vtec engines in general seems to rate them as possibly some of the strongest engines ever built.

I have spoken to Ben via email as well as Paul and they both seem really approachable, would be good to see his EG if hes in, thats good to hear i gathered from their emails that they encourage your input with it being your car.

Thanks for all your help tonight really appreciate it and am very envious of your EP3 haha hopefully meet you tomorrow if you do call in :)

Hi pal, how did it go yesterday? I didn't get chance to get down to call into TDi as I had to chase up a few bits for work.

Hey Tom,

Yeah pretty good Ben and Neil got the RBC intake and Injen fitted without any issues, Paul had a bit of a game with the mapping because he said the Blitz cat back system on the car is awful and is throwing the airflow all over the place on the graphs, just goes to show sometimes the more expensive parts arnt the best to buy haha.
Paul said that if I get a better exhaust system fitted when I go up to get my ECU put back in that it should be running as he wants it too, any suggestions? he has got a piper system which he is selling on behalf of a friend which he said is a good piece of kit and also heard DC Sports is a good option?

It was one of those days to be honest the weather was shocking i had to drive back in what you could only call blizzard conditions haha but the guys at TDI where brilliant and hopefully if i can get this exhaust sorted then it will be running perfectly.

Shame you couldnt make it down mate probably a good thing in a way because the weather was shocking lol be good to meet you up there one of the days though and have a look at your EP3

Glad to hear it went ok.

Im not the best person to ask on exhausts, Ive got standard at the minute. Although Im getting a Custom made 3" through pipe and back box next week, in preparation for the turbo going on.

Piper system sounds good though.

I saw the weather on my way home, luckily for me it has been clear near around where I live, but Warrington was awful to drive in, same today, icy roads, and thick fog.

My EP3 will be in TDi for 2 weeks from the 5th March getting the turbo conversion and Roll Cage installed.

Cheers Tom,

Paul has managed to secure me the Piper exhaust for a good price which I think is an item that he has worked on numerous occasions so hopefully that will complete the setup because the RBC Intake and Injen went in like a dream.

I am just hoping that the cat hasnt gone but i have got the Japspeed de-cat pipe to fall back on if it has thankfully, I saw on your previous reply that you mentioned a friendly MOT tester that you take yor EP3 too, do you think that if I do have to opt down the de-cat pipe route you could get me in there if i dont manage to find a local station?

Glad to hear the weather has been better up by you, are you dropping the car in at TDI on 5th March? might pop up and say hello :)

Im sure there are a few dodgy MOT centres where you are. Where are you from?

Yeah Im in on the 5th March, for the big swap. Its in for 2 weeks, so I will nipping down every couple of days to keep up with whats going on, take some photo's. Its in next week for the new exhaust :)

Its knowing where to start looking to be honest Tom, i have got a friend whos uncle owns a garage so i have asked the question and will keep you updated, how do they get around it basically stick the emissions pipe up a donor car? I am down in Telford

Brilliant would be really good to meet you, will have to get you to take me out for a quick spin before you leave it with Ben and Neil to work their magic haha, what day are you in next week for your exhaust because i am going to be in on Tuesday?? :)

Tuesday but Im going to a place called Pipeworx for the exhaust which is up near me in Southport.

I am at a Rolling Road day on Saturday in Chester. How far is Chester from you?

Back