• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 - Need new steering rack?

I agree breakers yard! mine went about two months ago honda quoted me the same price before fitting. I put my phone number on a parts finder web site at about 7:30 am by 10am id received over 15 quotes ranging from £70 upto £250. I bought the £70 one it was off an 04 plate which had done 15000 miles honda fitted it for £200. No problems with it as yet

nice one mate, just entered some searches, fingers crossed. so the face lift racks fit the pre face lift.

dirtyh900, in future, do what i do, nipe round the back of honda to the garage, ask the mechanics if they do jobs on the side, thats how ive got a bloke to do it for £50, the same bloke that would have done it for £275 through honda, i do it with all my cars.

dirtyh900, in future, do what i do, nipe round the back of honda to the garage, ask the mechanics if they do jobs on the side, thats how ive got a bloke to do it for £50, the same bloke that would have done it for £275 through honda, i do it with all my cars.
Thanks for the info m3reject will give it a go next time i need something done

I had a new steering rack fitted a couple of weeks ago by honda under warranty, when i picked the car up i checked the work, it all looked brand so i was happy but they wouldnt give me a receipt for the work the sneaky ba**erds.

Jase76

a knocking over bumps. didnt buy a new one, was quoted. got a salvage one on way for £80

My ep3 type r civic has developed a creeking noise when reversing up hill from the steering column, also very loud banging from front wheels when spining or hiting pot holes etc: is this my steering rack?? Honda garage seem to think, it could be where a garage fitted me a new ring exhaust gasket and didn't lube it up before fitting it, thus having no flex in the join? Or they said it could be the rack?? Anyone any idea's????

i never had a knocking when my steering rack went it was just a very long creaking noise from standing start or at very low speeds around corners. Surely honda should be able to give you a sure answer?

think i got same problem, when i pull away from a stand still it makes a funny noise never heard it before as normally the stereo on, also when i go down some cobbles sounds like something is knocking about but it goes away when i apply some pressure on the brakes,

sound like it the steering rack to any one?

also if it is what does the steering rack consist of? , as there a scrap yard about 50mi away and would want to know what exacley i was looking at/for also how would you tell if it was worn again?

would the steering rack be checked on the service?

thanks guys x

oh happy new year to every one and hope chrimbo was good for you all

Last edited by a moderator:
if the rack is knackered the steering will be all to buggery, constantly adjusting the steering wheel when driving straight, and it won`t self centre well

might be something else then as it centers quite well and tried going about 30 with a loose grip to see if it did pull and it went quite straight,
just be worrying about nothing probally.

still you think it be best to ask them to check it during its service? i read might just be top mount bolts need re tourqued?

Could be anything really, the fact braking stops the noise could mean it`s something to do with your calipers, though that`s my unexperienced opinion

i always though it might just be pads just jiggling about if there worn down a little.

chers any way i mention it to garage when its next in for service see what they say until then i just keep stereo on :D

Back