• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 - Need new steering rack?

If your brake pads are `jiggling about` :eek: then the stereo shouldn`t even be an option!

A long time ago my Rover 214 had some sort of noise coming from the front, drowning it out with Clubber`s Guide to 2000 worked for a few hours until 2 studs snapped on the n/s wheel and the car veered sharply to the left, thankfully I was just pulling into a petrol station

Get it seen to ASAP I reckon

hmm now i am worried, its fine when i drive up to edinburgh and newcastle though noiseless,
also just phoned garage and service only open weekdays now used to do half days saturday :(

ok had my car to garage and they said nothing wrong with rack or the suspension bolts so just me being paranoid, they did point out that my driver side back disc is in poor condition.
Like there been something caught in it and its grooved it so £190 for set of new rear disc/pads fully fitted.
just to ask is it worth getting better pads for the rear with standard discs?

cheers

Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-TYPE-R-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-MINTEX-BRAKE-PADS_W0QQitemZ300288545565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item300288545565&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-TYPE-R-MINTEX-REAR-BRAKE-DISC-PADS-01_W0QQitemZ260113757481QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item260113757481&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Fit them yourself mate.

is there any where to get a good deal on them? apart from ebay?

also whats the rear brakes like to replace?

steering rack

hi mate, just wondered if the car made a thud when first starting in the morning, mines has done this for a few months, also very noisy on bumps??

Hi guys, I'm new here on this forum so I salute you, CTR owners!
I have a 2001 type R ep3, and I think the steering rack is damaged.
I found here some spare parts from an ep2 (1.6), and I was wondering if the sttering rack from this ep2 would fit to my ep3? I noticed it looks the same, but the code on it is different.
What do you think, if one of you knows some information about this?

Thank you!

Knocking noise while drivin over bumps. Hade car on ramp no play in joints.light play in steering rack both. steering rack or steering rack end? hove to chek or fix? civic type r ep3 .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the rack is gone mate. How do you mean "check or fix"?

I believe that once they are gone they need replacing.

Thanks mate. any ideas where to by one? dealers will rip me off ! and hove to chek a used rak for foults?

i'm looking at getting a new rack for mine, put my details into 247spares.co.uk , they send the enquiry on to suppliers and breakers all over the country and send the quotes to your inbox.
Put the search in last night and had my first quote back just after 8am. £84 including delivery and VAT! :D

Hi guys!
Can i just clarify if a new steering rack is definitely required?
Have an 03 ep3 and the steering is all over the place. Coming out of roundabouts is horrible but on motorways is a nightmare. Unless the road is dead straight i constantly have to take it out of a turn and battle to keep the steering constant throughout any type of verge.
Even slight turns of the wheel to adjust for for bends means i have to quickly adjust as it feels like i'm going to spin it.
Turning the steering wheel a few inches either side has no recovery at all.

Although I don't seem to have the noise factor that is mentioned here.
So far I have replaced the tyres to stock bridgestones, had the tracking and alignment done, correct pressures and also have replaced both track rod ends.

Appreciate any help...

Back