• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Newbs Rough Around The Edges EP3

Been toying with the idea of posting this thread as mine is nowhere near the standard of you guys motors but I hope to get there 1 day. So introducing my pride and joy...........

Satin Silver 2002 EP3

73745d20212272f3eac67aa0852dc832.jpg

Bought for £1600, 93000 on the clock with part service history. Engine is mechanically sound, no crunchy gears when cold and vtec kicks in as it should. I'm very happy with my purchase so far. I have wanted an EP3 since my mate took me out in his Milan red face-lift 55 plate back in 2006. It's been a long time coming but I have finally made it. As with most cars that are 15 years old, there is some age related marks to the exterior, most notably stone chips on the bonnet and bumper with a few light scratches around the car.

The car came with an induction kit and exhaust already fitted. I am unsure of the make of these mod's so perhaps someone could help me and shed some light on what they may be?

1478645cf812eb80b5e5b3e7b7c4cbf1.jpg

7e5881c210adda50768640b168a08685.jpg

The alloys are also in decent nick. Unfortunately they are just brembo covers that came with the car.

14eb102bda09a5651d82249aca521ab4.jpg

The interior is in fantastic condition for the cars age with good mats throughout and a nice custom console fascia. The gaiter is colour worn and will be replaced with a genuine honda leather black gaiter with red stitching.

001362e396ddd828fad76ec6a7a5ac12.jpg

Like I say, this isn't the most pristine example of an EP3 but with a lot of time and a lot of money, I am determined to get there.

Planned mods as follows:

Grinspeed FRSU
Eibach springs
K100 Remap
Dipped/refurbished alloys
Tegiwa intake
Buddy Club 3 cat back exhaust
Exedy Stage 1 clutch
Grooved disks and new calipers
Audio set up with double din touch screen
Full wrap? Maybe

These mod's are things that have really captured my imagination since I signed up and started to learn more about the world of EP3's.

I have had a lot of great advice already and if anyone has any pointers on mods then I would be hugely grateful. I want this car to be pushing 225+ bhp and handle like a dream.

Thanks for looking guys and go easy on me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Newb, welcome to the forum.

That intake has to go :) It's basically sucking warm air right next to the exhaust manifold, doesn't look like there's a heat-shield in the way at all.

Otherwise, that's an amazing price for something with less than 100k in that condition, air-con too, nice!

Hi and welcome.

Think you found a good one there for the price and mileage. Hopefully means you can spend the spare cash doing your mods.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback and welcomes.

Thanks Mike, the intake has been bugging me since I got it and will probably be 1 of the first mods I make.

Thanks Skunk, appreciate the kind words.

Thanks Nudge, that's the plan. It'll be a lengthy project but 1 I can't wait to get my teeth into.

Thanks Krzys, I appreciate the link. I will definitely hit it up soon

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Looks like a universal K&n filter on one hand due the shape on the base of it.
Also it looks like it could be one of the older blitz LM kits, as there are not many filters that come without the arm that allow you to connect the breather back into it.
Have a look on the top of the filter for any brand markings.

I personally wouldn't worry about the heat soak issue, I couldn't notice any difference once on the move and you get that lovely open cone sound.

Like mike says though a heat shield and CAF wouldn't go a miss.

If you get it mapped as planned, then an intake like the tegiwa would go nicely.

Well done on a bargain and welcome to the forum

Hi Jimbo, thanks for the post. I was thinking K&N but couldn't find any markings on the intake at all.

Real Newb question here but would the Tegiwa intake be as effective without the Remap as i was thinking of getting it before remapping etc?

Given how grubby the current filter looks (if it is K&N, aren't they red normally?) I suspect _anything_ would be an immediate improvement ;)

Hahaha thanks Mike. You really hate that intake don't you?!?! Hahaha ;)

K&N do red and black filters.
But yes would get a Tegiwa on straight away or give it the current filter a good clean until you get a new intake.

A brand new intake with decent flows would be a massive improvement without remap, wont gain you any new power as such but restore any you are losing through the dirty filter

Hahaha thanks Mike. You really hate that intake don't you?!?! Hahaha ;)

Seeing the filter all crushed and bent like that just makes me twitch. :(

Seeing it with no decent flow (and possibly loaded with dirt/dust) doesn't do much for my happiness either.

As jimbo says, see if you can give it a good clean (or replace) in the short term if it's going to be a while before you get a new one. If it is a K&N you'll need their oil etc. to recondition it I suspect.

As it's a bit crushed I'd also check to make sure the pipe isn't slightly buckled and letting unfiltered air in around the edges (you should be able to hear it whistle slightly if it is doing so).

I would do my best to clean without oil really though or replace.

The oil particles get sucked through and get stuck on airflow sensors etc

Thanks guys, honestly can't thank you enough for all this input. It's invaluable for me and helps me learn so thank you. I'll have a look at the filter this afternoon and see what I can do.

Hello and welcome mate :)

Yours looks like it came with the same filter as mine, looks like same breather pipe and all. Pretty sure it's a bog standard k&n open cone kit. Although I've yet to identify exactly which one, typhoon or something. Heat soak on it has no noticeable effect on local roads or motorway, but it certainly does make nice noises. However I imagine the heat could become a problem on track if that's your end goal. I had to replace it as soon as I got the car with OEM box for my insurance but would love to stick it back on if only for the noise.

I would also say it needs a clean, if it is the same the come definitely didn't start out red but it ain't terribly clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice and welcome Nick. I'm going to give it a good going over in the next day or 2 to see where I'm at. This is and always will be my daily so I just want the fun power, handling and noise :)

Back