• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 not cranking after battery replacement

Hi guys,

Only had my JDM Ep3 a week and have managed to stop it working :(
I removed the battery to fit an induction kit today and also whilst the battery was off took the steering wheel off and replaced it back (as it wasn't central).

Now when I try to start the car all the lights and stuff come on but when I try and start it then it doesn't crank over or anything.
I have an aftermarket TOAD alarm for your info which still activates and deactivates the doors etc.

Have had a look at posts which point to the fuel cutoff switch but I can't find this in my JDM model at all.

Any help please would be much much appreciated as its a good driveway ornament at the moment :(

Cheers,
Gareth

If it's not turning over at all I'd be looking at your immobiliser or test there is enough juice in the battery.

After that you're looking at fuses in case you spiked something when you disconnected the battery.

Thanks Loxy, I have checked the battery and thats at 12.35volts with the ignition off. That should be enough shouldn't it ?

I did also check all the small fuses in both fuse boxes and couldn't see any broken fuses.

How do I check the immobiliser ?

Aye, 12.4V is spot on the money.

Owners manual on the immobiliser side of things and run through their trouble shooting.

It will be the big fuses you need to check, I think the main fuse is 45A but since you said it's lighting up the dash, that one should be fine. I'm not 100% if there is a separate one for the starter but there should defo be a relay for it.

Aye, 12.4V is spot on the money.

Owners manual on the immobiliser side of things and run through their trouble shooting.

It will be the big fuses you need to check, I think the main fuse is 45A but since you said it's lighting up the dash, that one should be fine. I'm not 100% if there is a separate one for the starter but there should defo be a relay for it.

Thanks mate but my owners manual is in Japanese :)

Thanks mate but my owners manual is in Japanese :)

For the immobiliser? Should have been fitted on import to the UK as JDM EP3s didn't have an immobiliser from the factory.

If it's not part of the TOAD alarm, I'll be surprised.

Leave the key in the ignition, in the on position. Get a fully charged power pack on the battery and then try to start the car, might work. As Loxy said check all the fuses too.

Are the battery terminals rusted/corroded, do they look clean or do they look dirty? Try loosen the cables and reconnecting them really tightly and then trying to start the car again.

Also were you careful with the positive cable making sure it didn't touch anything?

Leave the key in the ignition, in the on position. Get a fully charged power pack on the battery and then try to start the car, might work. As Loxy said check all the fuses too.

Are the battery terminals rusted/corroded, do they look clean or do they look dirty? Try loosen the cables and reconnecting them really tightly and then trying to start the car again.

Also were you careful with the positive cable making sure it didn't touch anything?

The terminals look fine to be honest, I have tried cleaning them up to see if that helped and it didn't. There isn't any room for the positive to touch on anything else. I always connect the negative first then the positive when connecting a battery and the reverse when taking the connectors off.

Good shout re jump starting it as thats one of the things I haven't tried yet. Just seems a bit odd that the battery was working fine until I took it out, I have charged it fully and its now reading 12.44v.

I have checked all the smaller blade fuses and the square fuses where they have the clear covers and can't see anything broken on these.

Ok dont laugh but I have sorted it.......you'll never guess what it was in a million years (unless its a standard Type R feature that I have missed).

Now before you all burst out laughing.....remember I have only had this car a week and driven it about 10 times. All the times its been left in gear on my drive so I get in....clutch down and start it up and go.

All the times since doing the air box the car was out of gear as I pushed the car back. Therefore not pushing the clutch down.

Once I push the clutch down it starts first time and every time. Now is this a Type R feature or something the alarm guys would have put in with the Toad alarm (left a message asking them).

Dont I feel like a doughnut
icon_e_sad.gif

Great to have it back though, they really do sound like race cars when you are thrashing them in VTEC don't they
icon_e_smile.gif

I would laugh but I've been in similar situations before :lol:

Glad to hear it's sorted. I don't think it is a standard feature. Probably on just the JDM ones, not sure. I would love to own a championship white JDM EP3 one day. Yes they're really fun to drive

The STi and the Juke both need the clutch down. Both were keyless start though, so I don't know if that's a new trend on EU sold cars.

FD2 needs the clutch down though. :lol:

Back