• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Ep3 Notchy gearbox - low revs normal driving

I've read countless posts about notchy gearbox/grinds/crunches on the ep3 at high revs - my issue is at low revs during normal driving my gearbox is notchy when the car is moving but when stationary the gears go In smooth. Gear 2 is the worst.

The car also jerks slights even when I try and lift the clutch as smoothly as possible.

What could this be?

I changed the transmission fluid about 6-8 months ago using Honda MTF and clutch was done about 1 and a half years ago if thats any help.

Second gear crunch is common.

I bought a short shifter, that sorted my crunchy gears out. Relatively cheap from Tegiwa, and easy to fit.

I was thinking of getting one, I've got the aluminium shifter bushes, they are much better than the rubber ones. Was it just your second gear or other gears as well?

Mainly second, but I was only getting it during launched starts at Santa Pod. I actually bought the BuddyClub Short Shifter, £150 but it replaces the whole shifter unit, and shortens the throw of the gear stick horizontally and vertically. Great bit of kit.

Ive also heard that solid shifter bushes can have negative results, stretching the cables, and the reason that Honda used rubber ones was so that there was a little bit of play in the cables. How true this is I dont know though, but I never fitted them.

Oh ok, so you didn't try the tegiwa one. I'm going to try a different Transmission fluid to see what happens before going further.

Did you have any luck with solving this in the end? I bought my EP3 last weekend and have noticed the same only last night - going from first to second sometimes has a very slight crunch at low rpm's - not noticed anything in vtec or from 2nd to 3rd, all else seems fine. I have heard it may be that I am not keeping the clutch down long enough and its common but as I have read so much about the 2nd gear issues, it has got me very paranoid and I cant find anything online.

My clutch had been changed in August by previous owner, I think it is just either changing too quick or that the clutch not down long enough. Any advise?

Short shifter and amsoil transmission fluid has made it much better.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Short shifter and amsoil transmission fluid has made it much better.

Which shoft shifter did you go for - tegiwa? I have read that the throw from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th are worse with the short shifter but the vertical throws e.g 1st to 2nd are better. Did you do both at the same time, which one made more of a difference?

Probably the short shifter and yes it's a tegiwa one. It didn't make it worse for me. I would advise you to give it a go.

It doesn't make the horizontal throws worse as the horizontal travel remains the same.

I have the neuspeed one (tegiwa is the same)

Massive improvement.

I also need to do the metal bushes and the powerflex gearbox mount insert.

Use Honda MTF-3 for gearbox! I changed that and clutch fluid too. much better, not that I was really crunching but sometimes was little more difficult to get in third at high RPM
But nice and easy now

It doesn't make the horizontal throws worse as the horizontal travel remains the same.

I have the neuspeed one (tegiwa is the same)

Massive improvement.

I also need to do the metal bushes and the powerflex gearbox mount insert.
I have the metal bushes where the shifter is also, I forgot about those!

Ah ok, thanks for the advise guys. Haven't had any issues at high RPM yet, slips into third smoothly but I haven't driven it a lot at high RPM as only buying it recently. Noticed yesterday a few times there was a very slight crunch into second at low speeds normal driving nd it has made me anxious. What did you use for the clutch fluid?

Ah ok, thanks for the advise guys. Haven't had any issues at high RPM yet, slips into third smoothly but I haven't driven it a lot at high RPM as only buying it recently. Noticed yesterday a few times there was a very slight crunch into second at low speeds normal driving nd it has made me anxious. What did you use for the clutch fluid?
Just use brake fluid as it's all shared with the braking system anyway.

Back