• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Overheating

Hello Guys

Getting my 02 CTR hand washed today, turned my engine off sitting in the que, tried starting back up and it wouldn't start. Called the AA (had to join on the phone), guy came out....started first time! Said there wasn't much he could do there, stopped and started it a few times, left it running for 15 mins, checked voltage on battery, drove home!

Got home and asked my friend to look at it, it was then he indicated that the temp gauge was on max, it has been like this for a couple of weeks (sorry I am blonde!). He also indicated that the fan wasn't on and it should be.

Other background info:
Had a centre pipe changed a couple of weeks ago
Was (annoyingly) steamed cleaned when I bought a couple of months ago
Was last serviced a couple of months ago

Obviously won't be driving this weekend!

Any ideas guys?

Thanks
Carly

Sounds like the temp sensor that's faulty, its located at the bottom of the radiator, drivers side of the car. Get the fuses checked too....

Taylor

Fairly easy it has to be reached from underneath the front end, the plastic undertray will have to be removed easy stuff....

Taylor

I had the same problem but only when I was sitting idle but it turned out to be the fuse which i think was blown when someone was fitting my hids because the fuse wasn't even in the fuse holder and I've had the car years so it was obviously there to start with or I would of noticed, idiots

Hello Guys

Sorry in the delay, FINALLY found out what it was, the temp sensor (thanks Taylor)! Checked all fuses etc, but it's defo the sensor

Going to replace this week, any ideas where best place to buy is? Found some on eBay.

Carly

Hello all, finally got around to having the sensor fitted, apparently I need a 25mm sensor, I bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180476042...WNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_689

The seller is now telling me this isn't the temp sensor for my car???

On top of that...I broke down! AA came to the rescue as did several chaps willing to help a girl out! The diagnostic codes were:

P0117 - engine coolant temp sensor circuit
P0336 - crankshaft position sensor

On top of that (!!!) I had a leak which caused me to overheat when I broke down!

Before I start buying the above sensors, is there anything you guys would recommend? Where would you recommend buying from?

Thanks

Go to the Hendy discount thread on this forum and get the part there. Also, he'll know what you need.

I'm having over heating troubles too when sat in traffic for ages, it's not reached the maximum but like 3/4 there, and in the past its had trouble starting back up again if I turn it off to help cool it down. I seem to be missing the overflow coolant top up reservoir as well?! Could this have something to do with it?!

Mine was the big orion relay in the fuse box i swaped it with the horn relay to test it was that and it worked then just got a new relay.

Try the relay and fuses.

Has anyone been under your car fixing anything else or that? i think there is a switch on the bottom of the fan if touched it will switch it off could be that but other than that i dont really know.

Hello all, finally got around to having the sensor fitted, apparently I need a 25mm sensor, I bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180476042...WNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_689

The seller is now telling me this isn't the temp sensor for my car???

On top of that...I broke down! AA came to the rescue as did several chaps willing to help a girl out! The diagnostic codes were:

P0117 - engine coolant temp sensor circuit
P0336 - crankshaft position sensor

On top of that (!!!) I had a leak which caused me to overheat when I broke down!

Before I start buying the above sensors, is there anything you guys would recommend? Where would you recommend buying from?

Thanks

Well if those codes have came up it would be a good idea to change them regardless, the crank sensor will cause the problems you have starting the car and the other sensor will be why the car is showing it's overheating, did your management light come on at all? and have you found the cause of the leak?

I would find the cause of the leak fix it then change those sensors, look at the traders section on here to source your parts.

Have you checked under the oil filler cap lately?

Just a friendly warning and not meant to frighten you but over heating can lead to head gasket failure and/or a warped head.

Creamy sludge under the oil filler cap is a tell tale sign.

Going to hijack this thread didn't want to start a new one.

Anyway my car flung an overheating code up lastnight when sitting in idle, can't mind the code but i cleared the code and it hasn't came back on.

I have a gauge and my car sits around 80c when driving and about 90c when in idle this is fine am sure? but when it flung the code up it was at 98c but if am honest i did just kick the dick out the car and with the RBC i notice the engine gets a little warmer anyway so just wonderd if i should be worried?

Anyhelp i appreciate it.

I noticed today while in heavy traffic the temp went away up and the EML came on again. checked the fuses and 2 fuses blown replaced them and checked the relays but they were fine and still fan won't kick in so is it a new fan i need or is there anything else that would cause this?

They were fine they didn't blow. I don't know if this is related but i put a cheap ebay headlight bulb and it blew and its since then the fan hasn't worked, not sure of that would affect it. I also checked the relays as i had one blow a few months ago but its fine.

EDIT: I checked today if anything was stopping the fan from spinning and it looks fine and spins freely.

I remember a few months ago it started rattling but it still worked fine and i forgot all about it but it has allways ran a bit loud since before christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back