• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 overheating

Hi guys, just hoping for some advice as all. What has started to happen recently is that after being stationary for around 10/15 seconds the temperature gauge starts to shoot up but when I start moving it comes right back down.

Any points or hints of what I could check to fix the issue?

I have been told it is probably the thermostat but I cant find any guides that I could follow to change mine

Hi guys, just hoping for some advice as all. What has started to happen recently is that after being stationary for around 10/15 seconds the temperature gauge starts to shoot up but when I start moving it comes right back down.

Any points or hints of what I could check to fix the issue?

I have been told it is probably the thermostat but I cant find any guides that I could follow to change mine
Sounds like fan isn't kicking in, if it is then it could be thermostat.

If fan isn't kicking in check the relay in the fuse box in engine bay and all the fuses. How to check the relay I just swapped the one with the horn they are same relay, on back of fuse box cover should show you what one is what.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the fuse for the radiator its fine but the fan doesnt kick in

Does the thermostat control the fan kicking in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think the thermostat would affect the fan, did you check the relay aswell? they are also in the fuse box.

There should be a few of them on the left side, think one is for the horn should tell you on back of the fuse box cover which is which, just swap them and let your car idle till it gets up to temp and listen for the fan kicking in. if it doesnt then you need a new relay.

I would have said the thermostat isn't opening and kicking in the fan by the sound of it.

You could try testing the fan off the battery to see if it works or pull the thermostat and test it with hot water.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

How long have you left it stationary for while running? When you say shoots straight up, how high? Have you left it stationary for 5 minutes or so while engine running to see if the fan turns on?

Back