• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Rattle

Hi All,

I have been having an issue with my EP3 recently which is hard to explain but I shall do my best. I have already done some research on this but cannot find anything that has helped so far.

I have a deep, tinny rattling noise when driving at around 3000rpm. The noise only occurs when driving and appears to be coming from the front left hand side of the engine bay or perhaps underneath. I have removed the engine cover but that has not solved anything. I do believe this is not an issue with the engine as I cannot replicate the noise when idling or revving, perhaps a heat shield located beneath the pedals or around that area?

Any help would be really useful.

Joe

Yeah another member posted recently about this kind of noise and his was the driveshaft heatsheild they tend to come loose and rattle.

Yes it was myself. I had a loose screw on the drive shaft heat shield. Its a bit of a pain to get to but once tightened i didnt have an issue :)

Unfortunately after removing the drive shaft heat shield, the noise continues!

When removing the shield I noticed that the front pads and discs need changing asap so perhaps the noise could be coming from the disc. I will know for sure once I have replaced the brakes later on this week.

OK - I am still in need of any further advise if possible?

The noise is getting worse and I have currently ruled out the heat shields for the drive shaft, cat and exhaust manifold. This is strange because the sound it very tinny and is located around the exhaust manifold. The noise (a loud rattle) occurs only when driving around 3000rpm. Has anyone experience a similar noise when driving at similar revs?

Make sure whatever airbox you have is nice and secure. Check the manifold heat sheild is secure and not corroded?

If you can make the noise in neutral, get a friend to rev it to the problem revs and poke around & touch everything in the bay until you stop/change it then you'll know where it's coming from.

There is a heat shield on the underside of the car that's by the backbox (I think it's a heat shield), mine corroded and was rattling against my b pipe just before my backbox I bent it out of the way made sure it was secure and haven't had the noise since, may not be this but worth a look.

Thanks, Hazz, I did inspect the manifold shield but couldn't replicate the noise. I will try removing it anyway just in case.

Shoonk - I think the noise is coming more from the front of the car but I will check this out anyway as it may be the issue!

OK so an update:

I fear my engine may have been running very low on oil over the past couple of weeks and perhaps the warning light is no longer working. I topped the car up with oil tonight and tightened up the manifold heat shield and have so far not experienced any rattling. The main test will be on my way to work tomorrow so will report back then. Fingers crossed!

That's one thing you need to do with the type r CHECK THE OIL WEEKLY they love to burn oil more then a normal car .

Keep a eye on it for peace of mind

Darcy

I can safely say this issue has now bee RESOLVED.

It was the manifold heat shield causing the rattle which was encouraged by a very dry, oil-deprived engine.

Thanks for all the help.

Back