• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ep3 safe cruising revs/speed

i've had my ep3 for a few weeks now and i'm loving it still but i have a general question.

what is a safe revs to run at for extended times, i dont do silly speeds as i like my licence, but cruising on the motorway it generally sits at around 4000rpm. i often drive to scotland for work and only stop for fuel. my last car was an e39 m5 and would cruise all day long at 155mph due to gearing and it was expected to run on autobahns etc

cars are my hobby aswell so it gets looked after with frequent oil changes and anything that makes a noise will be swapped as i need a reliable daily drive, my m5 did 24k in 18 months with no issues doing things this way, it just cost a fortune. as this car is new to me and my first honda i had a full service done by tgm as they are local to me.

i've also only managed around 250miles from a tank which isn't a problem, was just expecting a little more ;) thats why i'm asking, am i expecting too much from it at my current speed?

i've had my ep3 for a few weeks now and i'm loving it still but i have a general question.

what is a safe revs to run at for extended times, i dont do silly speeds as i like my licence, but cruising on the motorway it generally sits at around 4000rpm. i often drive to scotland for work and only stop for fuel. my last car was an e39 m5 and would cruise all day long at 155mph due to gearing and it was expected to run on autobahns etc

cars are my hobby aswell so it gets looked after with frequent oil changes and anything that makes a noise will be swapped as i need a reliable daily drive, my m5 did 24k in 18 months with no issues doing things this way, it just cost a fortune. as this car is new to me and my first honda i had a full service done by tgm as they are local to me.

i've also only managed around 250miles from a tank which isn't a problem, was just expecting a little more ;) thats why i'm asking, am i expecting too much from it at my current speed?

safe revs for extended times are 8000rpm in 3rd along the motorway i believe??? could be wrong

Wow, everyone's a joker tonight aren't they... :rolleyes:

A Civic will happily sit at 4k rpm for extended periods, I doubt it will lap it up quite as well as an M5, but it'll be fine. 250 miles a tank is pretty poor for motorway work though, have you recorded a tank since the service?

I record all my fuel for tax refunds, it hasn't been a full tank on the motorway yet but I was expecting a bit more from about 3/4 of a tank I have used on a run. I was more asking about cruising speed so I don't risk long term damage as I plan on track days at some point

The car is sold in germany and so must of passed the vollgasfest test which is basically running it on full throttle for over an hour therefore running your type r at 165mph is ok!

also just how out is the type r speedo i mean mine goes off the clock but i know the actual top speed is 146???

The car is sold in germany and so must of passed the vollgasfest test which is basically running it on full throttle for over an hour therefore running your type r at 165mph is ok!

also just how out is the type r speedo i mean mine goes off the clock but i know the actual top speed is 146???

Like all analogue Speedos, the higher the speed, the more inaccurate it becomes. run it in conjunction with a sat nav and you will see the difference, although I would say both have their flaws.

As said, try to drive at a constant speed on flat ground and see the difference, it won't be exact but better than the speedo which must overread as manufacturers aren't allowed for any to under-read

Sitting at about 70mph on the motorway and a bit of town driving I normally see about 280-300 miles out of a tank.
Mine is not standard though as its got kpro so fuel map will be a bit different.

I've driven 200 miles a week in 2 trips of 100 miles for the past 3-4 years all motorway and at a constant 4-5k rpm. about 240 miles to a tank.

why buy a type-R if you're worried about fuel efficiency?

the type r is my e39 m5 replacement which averaged 19mpg, so not concerned about it as my fuel bill has halved, more interested :)

something i hadn't thought about was how much i was actually putting in, it was less than i was used to. I filled up this morning after the light came on and it only took 40litres, so that would explain the lack of miles as there is still quite alot of fuel left.

to actually answer your question, i do 60/70mph on 6th which roughly sits between 3.5/4k rpm, is totally fine. be doing that almost constant on some trips, no problems at all. they are a revy engine and were designed to rev!

If you had a loud exhaust, then i find the 3.5k is where is normally not audiable, anything above or below you'll hear.

Back