• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 SORN/Stored in Garage long term.

Hi guys,

I am going to be heading overseas for work and don't know how long until I return to the UK. Shipping the car with me is out of the question due to high tax charges in the country I will be working in. I spent a long time searching for my EP3 and I am still in love with the car, I still cannot decide whether to keep or sell it. I have a small garage and thinking of storing it there for a couple of years at least.

My question is what kind of maintenance do I need to do? I assume the battery will need to be disconnected, what do I need to do to avoid rusting? Is it better to leave it with a full tank of petrol or empty? The car won't be used for 2 years (or more).

Any tips from you guys would be great.

Thanks

I've spent a lot of time abroad with my pride and joy sitting at home. It's best to avoid leaving a car idle for any significant length of time. I've come home to; pads bound to discs, separated fuel, oil turned to gunk, cracked tyres, seized joints, mouldy interior, perished rubber, mice and bird damage and all manner of mystery squeeks. I even once found an 8 month old chicken pakora, not cool.

If I were in your situation I would try to find a family member or friend that could keep the car on the road. Even if they only take it to the shops once a week the benefits of keeping it rolling far outweigh the cost of leaving it stationary.

If you are set on parking it up then I would recommend:

Lubricate EVERYTHING.
Drain fuel.
Replace engine and gearbox oil.
Leave brakes off.
Disconnect battery.
Raise wipers.
Olive oil on rubber.
Dehumidify and clean interior. (Properly! Pakora isn't nice after 8 months.)
Take weight off wheels (to prevent tyre deformation).

If possible, get a Carcoon style bubble, or even a dehumidifier on a timer.

Hi there,

Its now been 8 months since moving to work overseas. I've locked the car in my garage and pretty much done everything that was suggested by "jimbothemagnificent". the only thing I have not done is drain the petrol, instead of draining I've put in a full tank before leaving the UK. I'm going to come back in September for holiday and will reunite with my EP3 (miss it so much!). Will the petrol still be good after 11 months? I remember it was a full tank of Tesco momentum 99, or should I ask the garage to drain it out during MOT? anything else I should be aware of before starting for the first time in 11 months?

Cheers!

I once left half a dominoes in the back of an old clio by accident while I was away for four months, rats had chewed everything, seats, nearly all cables, seatbelts.
Damn food!

Hi there,

Its now been 8 months since moving to work overseas. I've locked the car in my garage and pretty much done everything that was suggested by "jimbothemagnificent". the only thing I have not done is drain the petrol, instead of draining I've put in a full tank before leaving the UK. I'm going to come back in September for holiday and will reunite with my EP3 (miss it so much!). Will the petrol still be good after 11 months? I remember it was a full tank of Tesco momentum 99, or should I ask the garage to drain it out during MOT? anything else I should be aware of before starting for the first time in 11 months?

Cheers!
All fuel goes off after a time, even the good stuff! I might run albeit not very well. I have an '89 Accord that only gets used when needed. I leave it with as little fuel as possible when I'm putting it away and when I visit to fire it up I always take a can of fresh fuel and some additive (it's on carbs) to help it along. Not sure why you decided to brim the tank as it seems a waste but each to their own!

I've never actually checked to see if the EP3 has a drain plug. I'm assuming it does. BUT, if you do use it, be very careful because the tank is pretty thin metal and it would be easy to create a much bigger problem...

The old fuel won't do your engine any favours, though I imagine it will still run. I'd consider it a perfect opportunity to drain out all the contaminants that have settled to the bottom of the tank. If you're really sore about losing £60 worth of fuel then drain it, filter it and mix it back in with new fuel a couple of litres at a time.

Without contradicting the previous posts, the fuel will be fine.I had fuel in an impreza for 2 years and it was fine.
Only thing I can suggest when starting it is if possible, put a little oil down its throat to help lubricate it on start up.
These cars are pretty much bullet proof so don't worry.

My dad once left our family 1989 toyota corrolla in the back garden when we emigrated. When we returned after 2 years it passed the mot with just a new battery. My biggest worry would be making sure you don't get any winter rain water (salt etc) on the calipers before you store it.

You may get unlucky and develop a few tight wheel bearings due to being in the same position for so long but i think everything else will be ok.

Hi guys,

I'm not bothered about the fuel, I remember someone told me to fill it up so that condensation won't build up side the fuel tank. My EP3 has been sitting in the garage for a year and never been parked outside to avoid the rain. Do you reckon my brakes will be fine? Also can somebody please confirm if the EP3 have a drain plug/bolt underneath? I really want to drain out the old fuel to avoid damaging the injectors.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice!

The brakes will need cleaned and lubricated just to be on the safe side.
I dint think there is a drain plug on these but tbh, fire a redex through it and it will be fine.

The fuel system is a sealed, ie it doesn't vent to atmosphere. The fuel vapour vents back into the engine intake (via a charcoal filter and controlled by a solenoid on top of the throttle body) chances are the fuel will be good enough as it hasn't been open to the atmosphere.
Brakes again should be ok if it's been kept in a garage. Might be a little rusty on the disc surface but some braking may remove some of it.
Just get it running and give it a small drive. You'll soon find out if there's an issue.

What has been mentioned is ideal for long storage. I personally would release the tension on the belt to prologue its use for when you return.

Back