• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 - Struggling to read the dipstick

I have had a quick search about and did see a post around this but it was posted 10 years back and wanted to see what you all think, sorry for repeating.

Had an oil change on my car at the end of May ish using Shell Helix 5w40. I can never seem to get an accurate reading. On a flat surface, after the car has been driven and let to cool down for few minutes the first reading will always show the oil scattered and once wiped it always seems to show up just under and around the min mark ish. I repeat this is when the car has been left for few mins to cool down, on a flat surface with the dipstick wiped a number of times.

To be on the safe side I am going to top it up but it is quite annoying... does this mean that the car is going through oil or are others also finding it hard to get a reading? Probably done around under 1,000 miles since.

Any input appreciated, cheers guys.

K20's are a thirsty motor, and you will see oil levels dip quite quickly, especially if your hitting Vtec often. Its quite common.

I found I was putting 1/2 to a litre of oil in a month or so. Keeping your eye on it so it doesn't run dry is worth 5 minutes every couple of weeks.

Isn't it best to check oil first thing in morning on cold engine??? I give my dip stick few wipes and oil is on max. Or is it better to let oil go round engine and then check after few minutes when cool... I think you will struggle to get reading after warm and then cooled down better to check on cold engine mate. And also I have checked my engine on cold and its always been on max and I have covered 5k miles so far. So if I'm doing this wrong advice would be appreciated cheers haz.

Last edited by a moderator:
K20's are a thirsty motor, and you will see oil levels dip quite quickly, especially if your hitting Vtec often. Its quite common.

I found I was putting 1/2 to a litre of oil in a month or so. Keeping your eye on it so it doesn't run dry is worth 5 minutes every couple of weeks.

Hmm.. this does seem the case as I have been driving the car quite hard but I have heard mixed things, some owners say they never top up between services, others do quite regularly. Half to one litre seems to be quite a bit for a month or so, how many miles are you covering? Supposedly, you will lose around a litre every 1,100 miles as per the manual. Cheers, I check mine every 2/3 weeks also.

Isn't it best to check oil first thing in morning on cold engine??? I give my dip stick few wipes and oil is on max. Or is it better to let oil go round engine and then check after few minutes when cool... I think you will struggle to get reading after warm and then cooled down better to check on cold engine mate. And also I have checked my engine on cold and its always been on max and I have covered 5k miles so far. So if I'm doing this wrong advice would be appreciated cheers haz.

As per the manual it should be checked couple minutes after warm. I have always checked my cars when cold but have started to do it as per manual and after browsing forums based on the fact that the operating temperature of the engines is warm so more accurate reading. It is quite a subjective thing though, if checking it cold gives a reading between min and max then I say it should be fine as warm it would be higher. I will double check it cold too.

Take a metal file and go accross the dipstick at 45 degrees, then at 45 degrees the other way to make a rough, cross-hatch finish. Oil will cling to it better.

Clean swarf off thoroughly before refitting.

Check oil first thing in the morning cold. Wipe off put dip stick back in few seconds then repeat again and then you should come to an accurate reading from cold. As long as you get a good reading between 2-3 wipes on cold I wouldn't worry to much I have done this 2 years of owning my ep3 and have never topped up between services as it never needs it. I do services every 6k miles with shell helix 5w 40 I will let it go to temperature and give it 5 mins and check to be safe hope this helps cheers.

Oil should be checked when warm. Owners manuals nearly always say to check when filling up, so the engine would usually be warm by then.

Oil should be checked when warm. Owners manuals nearly always say to check when filling up, so the engine would usually be warm by then.

Spoke to mechanic today. Thats right start up car then turn off let oil go round engine. After 3 minutes check oil this is the accurate reading on dipstick.

I started car let the engine run. Turned off the car pulled out dipstick wiped it left it for a minute and seen a reading just a little below max and repeated and the reading was same.

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I must be running low at the moment then, will order and top up.

mrhaz - where abouts are you based in Birmingham? I am currently in Birmingham over the summer at Uni. Seen plenty of ep3's about.

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I must be running low at the moment then, will order and top up.

mrhaz - where abouts are you based in Birmingham? I am currently in Birmingham over the summer at Uni. Seen plenty of ep3's about.

I am local where bouts is your uni?

After my car is serviced at Tgm the level is a fraction above the maximum mark from cold, then checking it after a few minutes when warm it is bang on the max mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am local where bouts is your uni?

Near Edgbaston sides

After my car is serviced at Tgm the level is a fraction above the maximum mark from cold, then checking it after a few minutes when warm it is bang on the max mark.

I also had the oil changed few months back with them. So do you get clear readings after the warm check? Or is the oil splatter everywhere on the dipstick.

It is all over the dipstick but can still clearly see the level on the max mark.

I haven't read all the comments so sorry if this is being repeated..

But I always find the first few thousand miles after a oil change. It being really hard to see on the dipstick. With the oil being so clean on a silver dipstick and not black makes it harder to see..

Best bet is to leave overnight on flat ground and check first thing in the morning before it's been started. Always helps me see mine when the oil is real clear..
Should be just a tad over max of been left over night :)

Spoke to mechanic today. Thats right start up car then turn off let oil go round engine. After 3 minutes check oil this is the accurate reading on dipstick.

If you do this from cold you will get a reading lower than the actual amount. Cold oil is thicker and starting the engine will lift the oil to the top end and it won't return to the sump in any quick fashion.

For me it's either cold engine as long as the engine was running for at least 10 mins before it cooled. Or 5 mins after turning off a warm engine.

Cheers mate, anyone know when the oil low light comes on in the ep3? Checked mine cold yesterday and its just about at the min mark, just wondering when the light actually comes on or does mine not work.

Cheers mate, anyone know when the oil low light comes on in the ep3? Checked mine cold yesterday and its just about at the min mark, just wondering when the light actually comes on or does mine not work.

There is NO low oil light or indication in the EP3. Red Oil light comes on with low pressure due to low oil level. The oil pressure switch in these is at a silly pressure so once it comes on its too late.

Don't chance it. That is the death of these k20's. Check oil level regularly.

There is NO low oil light or indication in the EP3. Red Oil light comes on with low pressure due to low oil level. The oil pressure switch in these is at a silly pressure so once it comes on its too late.

Don't chance it. That is the death of these k20's. Check oil level regularly.

Cheers mate, new to the EP3 so thanks for that. Yeah I am already aware that the engines are bulletproof but low oil is a no go, so I tend to check every 2/3 weeks.

Back