• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Sub wiring - already in car

Hi Guys,

Bought myself an EP3 a couple of weeks ago and noticed that there are wires in the boot for a sub.

My brother has given me his old one for if/when I want to install it but I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Can the Negative and Earth be wired into the same place? If not then where are suitable places to wire both? would it be best just ignoring the wires already in the car and buying my own (leaving the positive in since it has a fuse)?

I have attached a picture of the wires in the boot and the power one connected to battery - the negative doesn't go to battery which is why I'm wondering if this person has attached it to the ground - along with the earth.

Thanks

Si

Attachments

• AmpWiresBonnet.jpg
    AmpWiresBonnet.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 27
  • AmpWiresBoot.jpg
    AmpWiresBoot.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 25
Hondas are negatively earthed. You are good to go.

Thanks.

What would be the best way to check his wiring is connected properly as I've heard people say their wiring went up in flames and would like to avoid that :p Would i just check that there is continuity (using my multimeter) between the ground/earth wires to another part of the car.

Or should I buy new wires and do it myself to be on the safe side

Checking continuity would be a good start, and if you're reasonably familiar with electrics then you'll be able to tell very quickly if it's safe.

But I'd be more concerned about burning from the positive (supply) side of things, the earth and negative tends to be just connected to the chassis rather than all the way through - because it's DC electrics so all current has to flow back to the negative terminal on the battery.

If you are really worried about the integrity of the wires, then you're going to need to visually check the whole cable though, so you may have to balance that against cost of a new set of cables.

(Disclaimer, I've never done speaker systems, only formula style racing car looms, but from experience I would simply use continuity on a multimeter to test suspect wires, and that formula car never burned so I'm reasonably confident in the method)

Back