• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 EP3 to FN2

Im looking to sell the EP3 and get a FN2.
Had the EP3 14 months now and as much as I love it I am beginning to hate the road noise, lack of standard items such as AC, Xenons etc etc.

Has anyone else done the same?
What were their expectations for the FN2 and how does it live up?
Any reliability issues or problems with it?

Ive looked through all the searches on here, reviews in car magazine and it gets mixed reviews. Many single test drives slate it but long term tests and owners love them as it does everything well and excels at nothing much like the EP3.
I have a Caterham for track use, so it will be for commuting and weekend travelling 200-350 miles a week.

Im looking at 2007 / 2008 FN2 GT without the 19" alloys as there too Max power for me! Ive grown up and want a car to suit my needs, without blending into the TT, A3, Golf, 3 Series crowd all cars I dislike when drove them.
Had an R26 Megane before the EP3 and miss the comforts and extras on that so want the same but in a N/A more reliable and fun package that isnt a fortune to service or wont eat tyres and brakes all the time!

S2000 I really liked but couldnt live with everyday plus £400 a year to insure over a FN2 / EP3 is ridiculous to me. DC5 I like but my budget gets me an 5-8 year old version and I want something newer ideally.

And lastly headunit - anyone changed the headunit in their civic? I have a really good Pioneer DVD/MP3 flip out screen headunit I would love to keep and move into a new car.

Cheers

Finchy

I'm not sure Loxy's got HID's on his Type-R, but hd has made this change.. He'll be along, no doubt, to assist :).

I went from an FN2 to an EP3.

For what you say your needs are, the FN2 sounds perfect. Moreso, given that you have a Caterham for the :twisted:.

Stock FN2 suspension is intolerable. People say that the EP3 is raw and harsh. Stock for stock - the FN2 is harsher IMO. I found that the FN2 on aftermarket springs was like a stock EP3 - which is a good thing in terms of harshness. And that my EP3 on aftermarket springs, is now as harsh as my stock FN2 was.... Go figure lol.

FN2's, unless you get a proper dog - which it doesn't sound like you are, cost more than tidy, tidy DC5's. That's what I'd be looking at personally (a DC5), if I was in your position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, its something I agonise over whether to go for the FN2 however visually it just looks wrong for me, overweight might be the right word. and that rear spoiler through the middle of the window is a dreadful Fail. The Golf GTI and even Astra Sri for me just look so much better but I am Honda fan.

Agree the DC5 is proberbly the best bet as it has everything going for it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, made it along! :smt006

Yeah I went from an EP3 to The FN2.

I loved the EP3 and still miss it to this day, but if I got rid of the FN2 I know I'd miss that more.

If you are bothered about the Clarkson effect re understeer don't be. Getting the fast road set up transforms the car. Mine handles much better now than the EP3 ever did.

The FN2 to go for is definitely the GT, it's such a nice place to be and you get dual zone a/c, auto lights, auto wipers and fogs.

I personally don't mind the suspension but see where typeriter is coming from. I will be changing the springs at some point in the future though. Avoid Rage alloy wheels, might make the car look different but make the ride even harsher!

With regards to faults, MY2007 cars had an issue with 3rd gear synchro but had mine sorted under warranty. Some people have an issues with paint and stone chips, but it's no worse than the EP3. MY2008 had a recall for essentially a fusebox replacement. There are stories of creaky rear suspension and squeaky clutch on cold morning (I have the clutch!) but Honda say there is no real fix for the suspension and the clutch can get replaced under warranty but is not supposed to affect the operation or longevity.

Also only FN2s facelifted in 2009 or after have HIDs but I've retro fitted them to mine! ;)

Oh and they have dropped right down in price. Guy on Civinfo selling a NHB 07 GT with 25k MOT till May for £8,900. Bonkers!

That is bonkers as EP3 prems are still up at the 8.5k mark.

I know! He's selling it prior to trading it in, so that must be more than he's been offered.

If my car is worth the same, I've lost £4k in 10 months. Nothing at all like buying at the right time! :rolleyes:

Thats a good point made as it is now possible to get an FN2 for sub 9k however interesting that EP3 's Premier models are holding their value so well. If your going to move up it appears now is the best time maximising the EP3 sale and the reduced price of the FN2. The gearbox syncro seems to be a common trait with Ep3 and En2's. I too would also avoid Rage 19" wheels you'll end up in the dentist chair too often :)

Yeh Im after a GT 2007 / 2008 with the standard alloys in black or red.

Cheers for the honest opinions - As i explained it will be used for commuting and motorways treks and the odd B road blast when traffic is clear in Surrey!
Im hoping I can get rid of mine and put down 5k and get a car thats 6 years newer.
DC5 I end up with a 60k mile 6-8 year old car for the same money so FN2 is the way forward!

Back