• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

S2000 & NSX ep3 to s2000

hi everyone
just wondering what peoples views are on changing from ep3 to an s2000. i love the look of them and drove my mates in the summer and really enjoyed it.
prices at the moment seem really reasonable so i'm thinking about changing. main bad point i hear about them is twitchy back end, obviously this is to be expected but is it really an issue doing everyday drives etc.

would like some opinons from any old ep3 owners who are now in s2000's

Hiya Tom,

I had an EP3 for 2 years, had a couple of other FWD performance hatchbacks and then got the S2000, which I've now had for about 18 months.

It takes longer to wind up onto cam than the EP3 did but after a bit of practice its easy enough to keep it up there if you want to.

Its my daily driver (16k a year) and I do a good mixture of A and B road driving with the odd motorway stint. Average fuel consumption is about 25+mpg/250-280 miles from a tank of V Power costing about £48. On a long motorway run you'll get 320 miles out of a tank but don't expect any more.

Handling is fantastic with the standard set up, it tears up B roads like you wouldn't believe. Don't let the tread on the rears go below 3mm unless you want some very interesting handling with the back end stepping out on you a lot, even at low speed! You will probably have to adjust your driving style to get the most out of the car if you're only used to fwd hatches like I was as you have to be much more progressive with the throttle in the damp/wet and when you are getting used to it don't nail the throttle in the damp or wet unless all 4 wheels are pointing in the same direction.

Only other thing to think about is practicality. There are times where it annoys me a bit as you cant fit much in it to go to the tip or if you're buying something from the garden centre or wanting to chuck a tv in it its not going to happen (unless its under 32" an the roof is down :lol: )

Otherwise if none of the above bother you, go for it! Every time you get in it you can have a different driving experience and I think this is why I love mine so much. I get bored and change my car a lot and by now I would already have that urge again but its just not there owning the S. Roof down is awesome (and is down as long as its dry!), if its wet it can be fun getting the back end out, if its dry the handling comes into its own on a B road blast and if its your daily commute its as happy as any other car to bumble along in the traffic. I've found its a very rewarding car to own but remember...if you drive it like a dick it'll make you look like one!

Hope that helps :)

cheers for that, was a great post.
i never really have to shift anything of great size so dont think the lack of room will be a problem, and i'm not a fan of having passengers in the back of my car so a 2 seater will be perfect.......no more picking drunken mates up at stupid hours of a morning. ha ha.
as for fuel consumption that seems pretty good, bout what i get out the type r at the moment. think i'll be scanning auto trader and piston heads and see if i can pick myself an early christmas present.
thanks again.

This was the change I really wanted to make but it never happened for me. :(

If you can, you should. :cool:

5 months with an EP3. 5 1/2+ years (and still going) with an S2000.

Says it all, really.

Not my everyday car though.

I had an EP3 for 2 years and then 4 months ago chopped it in for an S2000. I have to say that it was a great decision, but only because it fits my needs perfectly at this point in time. I use mine as my daily drive and so far have not had any issues using it as such.

Like Spykee said above practicality can be a big issue which sounds like an obvious point given it is only a 2 seater, but even the most everyday task in a car like the EP3 can become impossible in the S2000. Removing the toolkit from the boot and storing the tools seperately in the spare wheel gives you a bit more space in the boot.

I also read about the twitchy back end which played on my mind for a while, but ultimately it is a rear wheel drive car with sufficient power to make the back end move about. Assuming the tyres are in good condition and the geo is correctly then it shouldn't be any more trouble than an equivalent RWD car. Some cars will have VSC to help out, but if you get one with it it can be turned off :)

Assuming the tyres are in good condition and the geo is correctly then it shouldn't be any more trouble than an equivalent RWD car. Some cars will have VSC to help out, but if you get one with it it can be turned off :)

VSA is available on 06+ cars with drive by wire throttle but beware that it'll cos you over £400 a year on tax (£215 on <55) and mods are much harder to get hold of for DBW and there are currently no ECU mods at all for them. This is because the F20C was changed to an F22C for the US and JDM market which is a 2.2 with a silghtly different bore and stroke iirc. Hence no current ECU upgades.

First thing to do when you get one is get it booked in with Chris at Centre Gravity if you're anywhere near the midlands as the geo is the lifeblood of whether you'll love its handling; or hate it because you found a ditch! If you buy from a dealer get it in writing that they will check ALL geo bolts for seizure and fix any that need doing otherwise come geo check time you may find yourself with a bill of £600 per side for new arms as the bushes aren't changable.

Also when buying check the hood for wear. Look at where the hood base meets the body near the driver and passenger windows as it rips there and also check inside above the driver's right/passenger's left shoulder as the hood mechanism wears through creating a hole (which is what I currently have on my 04 plate).

Main changes to the car in its life are as follows:

<03 has firmer suspension with slightly thicker ARB's and 16" wheels, known to be a little more snappy on the handling (especially the <00 models). Some cosmetic changes took place such as a cover for the drivetrain on 01+ and a glass rear screen on the hood from 02.

The 04+ had a revision of the damping and ARB's to reduce the risk of snap oversteer, also coming with the 17" alloys, revised front and rear bumpers, revised exhaust styling to oval exit pipes, new interior consoles with brushed ally effect and new paint colours.

06+ had DBW and VSA fitted as well as further damping and ARB changes to put it between the <03 and 04+ models making handling slightly firmer again but thats all I can think of for the time being.

Hope that helps :)

Spykee, do you know if VSA fitted as standard on these models or was it an option? I have a 56 which has a blanking plate where the button should be?

Thanks

It was an option that then became standard on the 08 model so if you are not the original owner I would presume they didn't select the VSA as an option...you don't need it anyway so I wouldn't worry ;)

It was an option that then became standard on the 08 model so if you are not the original owner I would presume they didn't select the VSA as an option...you don't need it anyway so I wouldn't worry ;)

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I don't have it! If it was there I would only have it turned off anyway :). Thanks to the original owner whoever that may be and thanks for the answer.

Anther EP3 to S2000 owner here and i have the same thoughts as everyone else. Once you have gone to an S then you will never regret it if you are a VTEC lover.

I actually went from an early S to an EP3 then back to an S again because i missed the drive so much.

You won't regret the change. :cool:

I'm another non VSA option, i didn't see the point of toning down a car like the S with drive aids.

On a note which has nothing to do with power or performance, driving a car with the roof off is so much more pleasurable than driving a hatchback.

On a Summer's day it's a free tan, at night you get to see the stars going overhead. If you get cold just whack the heating on full and put it on your feet.

Being lower down you will feel like you are more connected with your driving experience, then when you go back to driving a fast hatchback you will feel like you are going at speed, very high up...it will make all fast hatchbacks feel like being on a rollercoaster at the top of a hump.

I was looking at moving from an EP3 to an S2000 (04+) this time last year. I've got a 30th Anniversary EP3 with Gruppe M and Spoon catback and low mileage which has been maintained regardless of cost, always garaged and has been an absolute joy to own. It has cost me considerably less to run and service than previous VW's, Audi's, Renault's and Ford's that I've had before. From a brand perspective I can see why people stay loyal to the Honda badge.

In the S2000 the way everything is laid out is brilliant, it feels well put together, the gearbox was superb and I think it's one of a very few truly "pretty" Japanese cars (I hate to use the word to describe a car!).

However I personally felt slightly disappointed by it and I can't really put my finger on why. I don't pretend to know a lot of the mechanics of cars but I felt the throttle response of the K Series engine to be more instantaneous

I'm not stupid enough to say the EP3 is the better drivers car but for me the EP3 is the best compromise of reliability, performance, practicality and value. More to the point I just couldn't find a car in the condition I wanted, in my price range and I must have viewed and driven ten cars all over the country. People advertise their cars as "mint" only for you to find car park dents down the doors, loud knocks from the rear shocks, wheels are scuffed & one guy didn't even know where the dip stick was.............

What it comes down to is I know how well I've looked after my car in the time I've had it. I would kick myself if I sold it to buy an S2000 only to have found I've bought a bit of a dog that's been thrashed from cold and not been looked after. Having said that I still find myself being drawn to them on Pistonheads and the trader.

I would love to track an S2000 but if I had to own one I'd have the hard top & never have it down. I'm not some metrosexual posing ponce. Also the car is a bit hair dressers style. The performance may be outstanding but overall you're far better off with a cheaper EP3 IMO. I'd take a Teg over S2000 anyday. Very nice if you're a women or a show off though.

If we're picking up minor errors, you missed a comma.

Arsehole.

WTF? Get it all off your chest you will feel much better.

[video=youtube;luKmSLXukaw]old link autoupdated[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back