• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 to Thurlby 888 Astra CDTi ?

Hey guys,

Basically the Ep3 is getting quite expensive to run with me now travelling to Wakefield everyday, i have therefore decided on a nice performance diesel!
Does anyone know anything about these and if im making the right decision switching to one? I have never had a diesel before, all Honda's... although i have driven my brothers E46 330d and i do not like it!

Thanks for any help

Joking aside, my wife has the same engine in her astra.
1.9 CDTI 150bhp, mapped to 200bhp.

It is pretty balistic for a small diesel hatch.
I'd say on a par with an EP3 acceleration wise. Mid range torque is astonishing.

Although, they handle like a boat!
If it hasn't already, it'll need the EGR blanking and software updating to suit or you will be changing inlet manifilds at £600+ a go every 10k miles max!

You have to do a **** tonne of miles to really see a difference when buying a diesel to replace a petrol IMO with the outlay of the new car (the 888's are far from cheap) and the extra cost of diesel. And as Stoo said, the EGR valve and swirl flaps can be an expensive fix.

I've heard the 330d is a bit unreliable as well, if it's an E46.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know much about the astra's but if looking for a performance diesel the Seat Leon fr's are pretty decent, my buddys brother has one (well his missus drives it, he's got a dc5 now) his is 170bhp and flies on the road and even with him driving like he stole it the lowest recorded mpg was low 40's iirc. It's been pretty reliable for him too, just wear and tear being the only issues.

I agree I like my mates brothers, if I ever have to hunt for a diesel I would be looking for the Leon but I'm sticking with my EP for now lol.

Thanks for the replies.
Im doing about 300 miles a week now and my EP3 is getting about 35mpg, im hoping for about 50+ from the Astra!
Do they really handle like crap? That is a bit of a concern as i was hoping it handled quite well with it being all set up for the "track"...
To be honest, having spent quite a bit on my EP3 with KPRO etc im still in two minds because i love it so much!!
Another thing is the EP3 has been super reliable, switching to a Vauxhall might be a big mistake, i cant afford to be spending money on it every week!

Yeah they do crash well. Me @ 60 vs a sideways Fiesta doing around 50. All because a Tyre Transit van didn't stop at a junction.

Great cars the brakes are made by Alcon and are very VERY capable.

Very nimble too despite the weight.

Major drawback OVERPRICED massively.

Although, they handle like a boat!
If it hasn't already, it'll need the EGR blanking and software updating to suit or you will be changing inlet manifilds at £600+ a go every 10k miles max!

888 replace the suspension & re align as well as fitting Toyo T1-R's.

I can't comment on the 888 astra, I did test drive a astra vxr a while back and to be honest wasn't impressed handling wise it didn't fill me with confidence and that had continentals on it. I would imagine the 888 would be a bit better though but shop around a bit before jumping in.

Leon FR TDi is a little over my budget, only reason for the 888 is i have been offered one as a straight swap for mine!

I can't comment on the 888 astra, I did test drive a astra vxr a while back and to be honest wasn't impressed handling wise it didn't fill me with confidence and that had continentals on it. I would imagine the 888 would be a bit better though but shop around a bit before jumping in.

If you dig around on the VXR owners forum there's a thread where I trounced one in the 888.

The 888 is decent its got all the kit you need and great mpg never will be near as good as any type r. The m32 gearbox is weak to i had a vxr with 15k and the box went.

Back