• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 track day drivers - Tell me what caused your breakdowns on track?

Hi guys

I'm putting together a spares package for my EP3 to take with me to trackdays and the Ring. I know breakdowns are rare, but something like a cracked thermostat housing could ruin an expensive holiday to the Ring!

So... what caused any breakdown(s) you've suffered?

My only one so far was a knackered CV joint.

Many thanks

Brake pads and brake fluid as pads wear. I'm guessing you know this already though.

Wheel nuts , exhaust clamps , Strong cable ties , Duck tape , jubilee clips , few spare nuts and bolts

things like that i would be taking ideally.

I'd fit an oil cooler as hard track work the oil overheats and VTEC stops working :(, I've fitted one now no problems...

ps the VTEC recovers after the oil has cooled!:p

crowds

Thanks guys some good ideas.

I have an oil cooler already and general spares/repairs/bodging equipment :)

I have a spare EP3 here I'm taking parts off, what I really need to know is OEM parts failures.

with the type r's being a solid car i think with the things you've covered already i can't see any issues. Anything other than mentioned will be a random one off.
The work you've put in id say its more than ready for a thrashing :rolleyes:

I never carry spares. The only issue I've had (yesterday at Snetterton) was I got black flagged for noise. Luckily I managed to borrow an exhaust bung. So that's all I'm going to carry for the future. Along with a bottle of oil, water and cable ties.

Spare oil cap. Serious.

I concur, my first 2 races this year I blew the oil caps off.

Strangely enough after spending £30 a time on 'decent' ones the cheapo fake ebay job is lasting the longest to date.

So after our full day open pitlane at Cadwell Park our track EP3 has developed a small issue. The spring that moves the gear stick to the center when out of gear. So for example changing from 2nd to 3rd I had to think about moving the gear stick over before pushing it up otherwise it would go straight up into 1st.

I think the spring I need costs about £4 or £5 but I need to work out if it's external on top of the box or internal.

So after our full day open pitlane at Cadwell Park our track EP3 has developed a small issue. The spring that moves the gear stick to the center when out of gear. So for example changing from 2nd to 3rd I had to think about moving the gear stick over before pushing it up otherwise it would go straight up into 1st.

I think the spring I need costs about £4 or £5 but I need to work out if it's external on top of the box or internal.

Good to know

Let us know a fix if you can!

Good to know

Let us know a fix if you can!
Will do mate! Turns out that you know a mate of mine in Notts, Moglie I call him!

The track car has done 137k and is an 02 so I think this spring failing is likely age/mileage related.

Back