• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ep3 type-r Mtec discs and mintex pads? Best brake discs type?

Hey I'm interested in getting new brakes for my ep3 type r but not sure to go
for standard discs and pads or drilled and grooved ones? I've heard drilled and grooved tend to crack and was recommended grooved discs and I would only be using for everyday use as well?
What type of discs would be best to use with mintex pads or can get brembo pads for £20 more same seller?

Quite a good deal £135 discs and pads get to choose what type of
discs as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301354793564

The listing is for drilled and grooved. You've been informed correctly, that drilled discs, particularity cheap ones, crack.

Lots of people use MTec discs, just use the search button to find out what they say.

Mintex pads are OEM equivalent as are the Brembo branded ones.

Yep, go for grooved or plain instead of drilled and grooved.

What's wrong with OEM replacements?

http://brakeparts.co.uk/

£23.20 a side.

Cheap grooved/dimpled/drilled/whatever discs aren't really worth their money and will either crack and/or wear your pads down faster. Unless you are doing regular track days (3+ a year or so) then OEM replacements (pads included) are absolutely fine.

I've used M-tec brakes twice
once on my old Fn2. Drilled and grooved with Green Stuff pads. I wouldn't say that I was all that impressed with the set up, but at least the discs didn't warp!
Bought dimpled discs from M-tec and fitted Pagid pads from Euro Car Parts on my old Blob Eye Sti Impreza, but one disc warped, so I had them skimmed. The set up was ok for my style of driving. I don't drive my cars hard.
Bought a full Pagid set up from Euro Car Parts for my Mk2 Mazda 3 Mps last year and to be fair. It's a pretty decent set up even though it only coast me 200 all in, as I fitted them my self.
The Pagid discs come coated, so they don't really show rust on the bells.
Im going to be replacing the brakes on my Ep3 this year. I'll be going for Pagid discs, Ferodo ds2500 for the front and standard Honda pads for the rear
drilled and grooved discs are crap unless you go for a premium brand, like Brembo. Plus, they make a stupid whizzing sound while on the brakes. It's a bit like a dump valve. Sounds great to begin with, but ****es the hell out of you after a while !!!

Brake discs don't warp, it's a myth. It is most likely pad deposits left on the disc. Also DS2500 are poor compared to other pads that are around for similar money.

Pagid pads are just OEM replacements, unless you got uprated ones?

So I'm a better off getting oem equivalent pads and discs for my ep3 probably gonna go for standard Brembo pads and discs come up to bout 170 which ain't bad from euro car prts

Brake discs don't warp, it's a myth. It is most likely pad deposits left on the disc. Also DS2500 are poor compared to other pads that are around for similar money.

Pagid pads are just OEM replacements, unless you got uprated ones?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that brake discs don't warp.
Cheap discs tend to be made from a cheaper grade of material and they tend to wear faster also. It's the same old saying, you get what you pay for.
My M-tec disc had a 5 thou run out. I had both front discs skimmed on both sides. Once this was done, I had no further problems. Why did this happen? I have no idea. Brake discs can be strange ass things!
I suppose you can put brakes into two categories. If you drive like a mad man, spend money on good ones. If you don't drive hard, just buy decent ones.
I have to say that Ds2500's are one of the best pads I've ever used, but having said that, I tend to stick with what works for me.

Cheers

im using mintex all round was thinking about grilled and groved but after reading about them and finding out they crack i fitted mintex all round and best brake i think :lol::lol:

Can get pagid discs and pads for £120 all round as I get discount at work? Would those be equivalent to OEM? I only use the car for daily commuting use

Pagid are OEM replacements, you can also get uprated Pagid stuff. It's a well known and established brand.

I thought it would be ideal the car is only standard with s/s catback system and typhoon induction and only use it for commuting use and the weekly trip on the motorway to see family so should do the job? I was debating to get these or the Mtec grooved with mintex pads

So go for standard pagid discs and pads? I guess Brembo standards would do the same thing as well but just paying for brand name as they are bout 170£ all in

Back