• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Epic clean coming up

Hi All,

So its been a while since Ive done all this ... Or rather having a car worth doing it to..

So i have a plan in what I'm going to do ... Clay, polish & wax .. All just purchased, well the clay and wax ..

My Question is this, I will be using Autoglym shampoo to clean, then obviously clay (dodo Juice), polish (autoglym high resin) and then wax (dodo Juice).. There are loads of how to guides for completing each stage .. But is it beneficial/necessary to clean with the shampoo between each stage? Clay-Polish-Wax ?? And after waxing ?? Should it be a full clean, or just a rinse. or nothing?

Any help appreciated! Going away next weekend so want to get her nice and sparkling !

And if it makes a any difference, its a Silver Lancer ..

As SRP gives off a fair amount of dust, it wouldn't hurt to wash or thoroughly rinse after a polish. Not really much point in washing after a clay as the paintwork would already be contaminant free. Don't wash after a wax, no point. The wax is your final barrier, there's nothing stopping you from adding an extra layer of wax after the first layer though.

I've found that using a tidy microfibre cloth to take the polish off helps eliminate the dust especially if you have a couple handy. I've used Autoglym stuff before but I switched to Meguiars, IMO, it's better, easier to use, less residue, stunning results.

I've found that using a tidy microfibre cloth to take the polish off helps eliminate the dust especially if you have a couple handy. I've used Autoglym stuff before but I switched to Meguiars, IMO, it's better, easier to use, less residue, stunning results.

You can't stop the dust getting into gaps though. Then when/if it rains you will get the dust from the polish running down the car.

Also the new AG SRP formula is a lot better than the previous version, especially if you slighty dampen the applicator/MF. I do use Megs though, they release quality products, I just find AG as a whole the easiest polish to use by hand.

426481_10151799254917787_1648906643_n.jpg

Brilliant thanks Bonito !!

Another quick one .. I have always used a roll of kind of micro fiber cloth esq stuff to apply polish ... Its not the standard blue micro fiber cloths .. Once it has an amount of polish on, it will become very smooth on the applying face ..

Do you reckon this is ok and also for waxing? Or is sponge application a must??

I always use MF clothes for everything. When there's a fair amount of crud and no clean spots (I constantly fold for clean areas) then I chuck it in with my shitty MFs. Polish pulls a lot of crap off the paint, the last thing you want to do is spread it back on.

As they're fairly cheap I have two MFs per product, one to apply and one to buff.

I have a DA Polisher so put on with that and take off using a MF, when I have polished/waxed by hand I used a soft foam applicator. I did try the Autoglym perfect polishing cloths but you can only use them once (it was expensive for like 5 cloths that I could only use once). The MF's you can shove in the wash if you like, you can definately wash the Meguiars ones so they last, not sure on the cheaper ones but make sure it's a soft wash with very little detergent don't use fabric softner.

If your extremely careful you can avoid residue getting in the gaps or even do some masking first, I have never had a problem with residue/dust getting into gaps then running down the car when it rains.

Back