• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

eps light flicks on and off?

I am asking this question on behalf of my mate, he has a 02 plate ctr

I don't know what it could be

thanks

I have tried the search function but could not see anything

If I go up steep hills in 5th gear I get a slight flicker but I put that down to the K-Pro.

Comes on for a second when you first start up, but not after. Is this what he's seeing?

no mate, general driving she winks on and off he said, he has a decat, Aem and cat back exhaust,

may the decat be the cause?

decat was fitted 8 weeks or so ago.

mine came on today sat in works carpark, the car had been running for about 20 mins never happened before and its not on now, this was at 5 this morning and for some reason i thought it was the engine management light and was stressed allday wondering if my car was poorly, was so relieved when i got back into the car (awake) after work and realised:lol:

no mate, general driving she winks on and off he said, he has a decat, Aem and cat back exhaust,

may the decat be the cause?

decat was fitted 8 weeks or so ago.

EPS = Electric Power Steering so it won't be any of them.

mine came on today sat in works carpark, the car had been running for about 20 mins never happened before

This is normal, if you have the engine running for a long period but don't move the car the EPS thinks it's actually faulty as it's not seeing any steering movement.

right thanks Neily,
I will try to get in touch with him now and ask him again what it's doing exactly....... he is not the best at explaining things If Im honest!!!

cheers that makes sense as i was sitting there a while without moving due to security being late to open up, i can go back to loving my car now:p

If you sit stationary and hold the revs over 2000-3000rpm for about 30 seconds EPS will switch off too (and light will show). I think its a saftey feature, incase you crash I guess so the EPS motor doesn't start any fires, re-start car should return it to normal.

When it flickers on, does your mate notice a difference in the steering - heaviness, stiffness, vibrations etc???

Generally from what i can gather, the light comes on when there's a fault with the power steering.

This is normal, if you have the engine running for a long period but don't move the car the EPS thinks it's actually faulty as it's not seeing any steering movement.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is solved........well no problem really. Neily had the answer!

I seen him today and he said "when I leave the car run for 20 or so minutes the light comes on and stays on", "when I turn the engine off then on again the light is off"

thanks Neily

If you sit stationary and hold the revs over 2000-3000rpm for about 30 seconds EPS will switch off too (and light will show). I think its a saftey feature, incase you crash I guess so the EPS motor doesn't start any fires, re-start car should return it to normal.

Yes I think that Is known as the "ecu lean procudure"

Is it a saftey feature? I noticed it when reading the service manual; it didn't explain why it exists. ECU lean procedure presumably means minimal electronic activity in case of an accident, is this correct?

Back