• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Error code p0303

Hi everyone 1st time poster but I have read other posts on the forums sorry that my first post is about a problem.

I bought a type r black ep3 2003 reg which has done 131k miles but that car has full service history last service at 131k new clutch from honda at 105k.
Now here is the issue after owning the car a couple hours a few error codes came on p0303, p0304 and p0300, so I called the dealer he said it may be due to the coil packs after a bit of back and forth he changed the coil packs at his local garage I took the car home and the car seemed ok for a couple days but then again the engine management light came back on showing error code p0303 so I called him and took the car back to him and left it with his local garage and took the 3 hour train ride home. After 6 days and some chasing up I received a call back from the dealer telling me the following things have been done the car has had a compression test done, which came back fine but I have been told by the dealer that the cause of the misfire and error code is due to a aftermarket air filter put on the car which has become blocked, which he tried to clear but he told me that if the error code comes back it is because of the air filter which is also causing the missfire and that I am responsible for changing it even though the car was sold with 3 months warranty covering the engine I have already spent £150 replacing the rear brake discs and pads the front discs are also looking like they are almost through.

That was just a bit of what has happened so my questions are

1. Can an aftermarket cause a type r to missfire and idle badly

2. If the answer to the above question is yes is the dealer responsible to fix this issue or am I

3. Can I return the car as I have owned the car less than 3 weeks if so how do I go about doing this.

Thank you all in advance for your help and very sorry my first post is so long

Misfire from a filter isn't common, but if it's not getting the AFR right because of of reduced flow of the air intake temp sensor isn't fitted correctly I guess it could happen.

Misfire is normally, plugs, injectors, fuelling issue like pump or dirty filter or block fuel rail, coil packs, timing (slipped chain), valve train issue such as burnt, bent or sticking valve.

Did the car come with the filter on? If it did, I don't see how the dealer can say you need to take it off.

Trading Standards if you want your money back. At the end of it all he has sold you something not fit for purpose if he can't fix the issue with it.

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes the car has had spark plugs and coil packs changed. When I bought the car it came with that air filter. I am going to go pick up the car in a few hours will post back how it is driving.

So they're telling you that it's your fault that you bought a car from them with an air filter which they suspect is causing the problem? I thought I'd read it all!

All of this is the garage problem to fix. Including the rear brakes that you have already paid for (a bit confused here). If there is a problem with the air filter, then they have sold you a dodgy air filter, aftermarket or not makes no difference.

Can I just check that the car wasn't 'sold as seen' or 'sold without warranty'? That's the only possible reason I can see for the garage reacting like they have.

Just got back home with the car around a 25 mile drive and the car still idles rough after a few minutes of warming up and of course the engine mangement light has turned back on they told me they tried to fix the blocked air filter by using brake fluid cleaner guess ill have to check if the same error code is coming up. The dealer has also told me when he drove the car without the air filter car had no issues what so ever :( really not sure what I should be doing since the car was sold with 3 months warranty covering the engine and that everything is in full working order.

Also another problem has turned up one of the bulbs on the middle of the dashboard must be out as 0-60 does not turn on when i turn all the lights on.

Thank you for all the help so far.

Take it back, tell them to fix it. If they refuse, threaten to reject the car. How did you pay?

I have taken the car back to him and told him this is the last time i will be coming to him and if he cannot repair the car by wednesday he can keep his car and return my money. He has told me that he will change the after market air filter with a standard one I have also told him about the dashboard bulb and the car shaking once it has warmed up and the steering pulling to the left or right during normal driving.

Ps next time I buy a car without doubt I will pay by credit card regardless of the extra fee.

Misfire from a filter isn't common, but if it's not getting the AFR right because of of reduced flow of the air intake temp sensor isn't fitted correctly I guess it could happen.

Unlikely to be down to just a filter - MAF would need to be blocked/dirty/malfunctioning also to screw up the AFR. Reduced flow would just mean the engine is down on power and/or struggles to idle, wouldn't expect it to cause a misfire if the sensors are reading correctly.

What filter was on it? Might sound daft but I struggle to see how a filter could be dirty enough to cause idle problems, would need to be almost completely blocked. In which case it would be obvious and surely would have been replaced before being sold. I'd be looking towards the TB, IACV and intake sensor end of it all...

...and be wary of a garage that drives a motor on the road without an air filter.

Edit: Just googled P0303, it could be the total opposite. There could be extra air getting into the intake through a leak, apparently an often overlooked cause of the code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not disputing your rationale, but an EP3 doesn't have a MAF.

Regardless, dealer should be sorting it.

Not sure about the exact make of the filter but it looks like an open top filter the dealer said he would fix all the issues have given him untill tuesday at which point if the car is still having issues i will reject the car.

Back