• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Excessive fuel consumption or the other one?

Hmmm, I expected a half decent result considering you used BP Ultimate. I've been running on std unleaded or 'cheap' super unleaded (Sainsburys) recently as V-Power just costs so damn much at the minute, and I definately get more mileage from a full tank when I stick Acetone in there.
To be honest, it does sound as though there is something not quite right with your car from what you have been saying - especially as you have another CTR to compare directly against.

Maybe its worth checking the colour of your spark plugs. If they are a bit black, it may be running a bit rich for whatever reason. If you do take them out, check the gaps are correct as well. Also, when was the oil last changed and with what brand/type? What about your Gearbox oil? Faulty thermostats can also cause excessive fuel consumption.

i changed my oil recently and i refilled with castrol magnatex or whatever its called 5-30w i think, with the gearbox i had a problem some years ago with a noise and took sample of oil for my mechanic to look at for metalic flakes and such and he advised a supplement to reduce noise, thickens the oil or something:confused:

but i never would think that the oil supplement would cause over the top fuel prices as if im towing a caravan. i will have to get it checked out by a pro because this is getting ridiculous.

i will check my spark plugs and probably order some brand newens.

Hmmm, it may suprise you how much difference using old or the incorrect gearbox oil can make. Do you know exactly what it was that the mechanic actually put in there? New gearboxes often give off metallic particles as the edges of the gears and syncros start to wear. The first gear oil swap will normally show the most debris - especially if it hasn't been done in a while since new. The K20 gearbox is very close-tolerance, so using the right stuff really is a must. It also doesn't hold a huge volume of oil (about 2.5ltrs), so it needs to be good quality.

When I first bought my CTR I was told by the previous owner "we checked the oil and it didnt need doing". I initially thought fair enough, but after owning it for a few months 2nd gear was giving me some real grief on cold mornings. It would sometimes 'crash' if I floored it in first and tried to change into 2nd quickly. I read numerous posts on here saying it was a common problem and I should change the gearbox oil. I went to my local trusty motor factors and picked up 3 ltrs of Mobil1 gear oil for under 20 quid and changed it that afternoon. I couldn't believe how much difference it made if I'm honest. The old stuff smelled really bad - as if it had gone off and was really thick and horrible.

It's been great ever since - no crashing, still a little stiff on cold mornings but soon becomes really nice and slick once it warms up AND fuel consumption was improved. On top of all that, the engine felt much more lively. It really does feel like a different car from the day I bought it - and I thought it was a great car in the first place. Bit by bit I've realised how much difference these little things can make. I've also heard very good things about Redline MTF, which may be better in your case if you have had trouble in the past. Demon Tweeks sell it but its like £15 a litre. :rolleyes:

If you have access to a decent jack, socket set and drain pan I'd certainly recommend just doing it yourself as its pretty straight forward and can be cheap to do. It can get a bit messy though as the drain bolt is positioned just above the front subframe so it'll drip from a few different places.

It takes less than 2 litres for gearbox oil change, did it myself recently. Handy enough to do IMO

I could have shown I used more than 2 litres?? Maybe they were 750ml bottles I can't remember now...

Either way, there's not a lot in there.

yea, i bet they were 750ml bottles. Thats why I had quite a load left from the third bottle. ;)

1.7 litres....less than a big bottle of pop.

i bought the car in 2008 from honda stealers in dunstable and its a 2004 so im unsure of the previous maintainence that has been carried out. full service history but no evidence of other work that has been done so gearbox oil may never been changed but who know. bit pi**ed that my mechanic didn't know about this. i remember taking about 300ml for sample and replaiced it with the additive then forgot about it as i thought it was problem solved. the additive was a yellow bottle called lube guard protection something :confused:
thinking about it it has felt more sluggish as time has gone so my well be thickening up more and more.
im gona get this sorted this week and hope for some improvement.
so i need mobil1 gear oil. do you think a flush is needed or should i stay well clear of that stuff, if it exhist's that is.
more money :mad:

How many miles has the car covered? If its 50k or over I'd definately recommend changing it.

As for what oil to use, completely up to you really. I just bought the mobil1 stuff as it was cheap and the guy said a few local garages use it as its good stuff. Its been ok in mine anyway, but I might do it again after a few more miles as its been a while now. Many people say to stick with Honda MTF 3, but you have to buy it from a dealership. My local stealer wouldn't even sell me any and just tol me what grade it needs to be! You will notice most of the gear oils on the net are fairly expensive ~£15 a bottle.

The number for my motor factor is 01909 474049, but they will be closed till Monday now. Might be worth giving them a call and asking if they have any MTF in stock. Should be a bit cheaper. :)

You can get g'box flush I think, but personally I couldn't be arsed lol. Just leave it to drain for as long as you can.

right im a man on a mission so as of monday i will get it changed. thanks so much for your help. i will ring my local motor factors witch i think are luton and get some oil.
hopefully this will solve it.
i don't need the replacement washer like when changing engine oil.
thanks again.

Yea no worries, I just hope it helps but it definately did with mine. It can be really frustrating when trying to pinpoint a problem like this as it's not major enough to stop you from driving it - it just keeps costing you an arm and a leg to run.

I didn't need a washer (in fact I don't think there was one?) so you should be ok. Thiniking about it I didn't need a washer when changing my engine oil either. Just re-used it and it's never leaked since.

thats a real good how to thread. i didn't think about putting a pipe with a funnel in to fill it, or use a extesion bar lol. im acctualy looking forward to doing this now i see its very easy, when i put the addative in i scraped and cut up my nuckles. now i know the way. thanks again i will update with the results and hope this solve's my problem or part of it :smt047

thanks mate

Honda MTF-3, 2 litres cost me just £22 from stealers, had no problem getting it from them either.

Back