• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Exhaust advice, race header on track

Evening,

it it has now come to the time that my exhaust holding my power back due to the standard mani.

i intend on fitting a race mani and replacing my catback system, currently a skunk 70mm system. I know the skunk system would be well over limits with a race mani.

what complete systems could I have that would be well within track day limits. Toda is the obvious choice but not sure if I want to splash out on one.

would a full tegiwa system including mani be fine? I'm open to suggestions

garry

Yep obvious choices would be Toda or Mugen, they are both pretty quiet.

I've heard the Tegiwa system on an FN2 with their race manifold and that seemed quite civilised to be fair. I'm yet to hear it on an EP3 though.

Not at the moment no. I'm at cadwell tomorrow on a trackday I'll let you know what db it hits on the static test, pretty sure it will be well under should help guesstimate what it would with a mani on. Although I know a lad running this exhaust along with manifold and jrsc and he has no problems with noise

Not at the moment no. I'm at cadwell tomorrow on a trackday I'll let you know what db it hits on the static test, pretty sure it will be well under should help guesstimate what it would with a mani on. Although I know a lad running this exhaust along with manifold and jrsc and he has no problems with noise

Thanks for the help, your friend with the full tegiwa system, does he have any problems with the exhaust being restrictive with that power?

i chose a 70mm system as I plan to run more power when the chassis is ready for it. I would be very interested in the feedback

Well it hit 92db at 5.5krpm on the static test that's with oem manifold and aem cai. He did say when I was asking about this exhaust that it was a little restrictive on his but he is pushing around 300bhp. The exhaust is 2.5" external diameter, 2.38" internal

Well it hit 92db at 5.5krpm on the static test that's with oem manifold and aem cai. He did say when I was asking about this exhaust that it was a little restrictive on his but he is pushing around 300bhp. The exhaust is 2.5" external diameter, 2.38" internal

Thanks for the help, I bought the manifold and cat back last week. I'm very happy with the sound level as I can nearly hear the exhaust now

No problem glad to help, Good to hear you're happy with the manifold too as i'm planning on the tegiwa one aswell

I like the sound of an option I've read (Tegiwa Race Header, Flashpro tuned, but with OEM rest of Exhaust) - but I've checked through loads of threads and pages on the forums and not seen too much conclusive about how not also adding a Sports Cat Back, affects MOT emissions - IF you leave the rest of the exhaust stock....

If I fit a race manifold/header but leave the rest of my OEM exhaust on there, will it still pass an MOT (and will it make much difference to power, with to the gains from the manifold, by leaving OEM cat back, instead of adding an upgraded Cat-Back system)?

If it's a MOT failure with just a race header and the OEM cat-back, can you weld those 400-Cel Cat things into the OEM pipe work and get it to pass emissions (or are they only for after-market cat backs)? I've seen what looks like a good full kit from Tegiwa, of Manifold, Cat Back and 400-Cel in-line Cat replacement for around £1,100 - but heard the stock exhaust is pretty good and just the header will do - as cat back gains over OEM is negligible (I'm not fussed about having more noise).

Thanks in advance, for any reliable info on this one...

You'll fail an MOT with just the Tegiwa header as it takes away the cat.

Yes you can get a 400cel cat welded into the b-pipe but because it is further away from the engine you have to make sure it is really hot for it to work properly and pass the emissions test, and if the car is stood beforehand it will likely fail.

Thanks, Loxy.

I thought there was a second Cat in the other bit of the exhaust, after the manifold (and you just needed both for there to be enough emissions scrubbing).

Is it more likely to pass the MOT with a 400-Cel welded into an aftermarket, or OEM exhaust?

400 cels in the OEM B-pipes have failed as above, it is further down the exhaust route and therefore cooler. On the other hand, if they are warm enough then they will pass.

It also depends on how picky the MOT tester is, because they also have to do a visual inspection as to whether the original cat is there. Most of the time, you wouldn't be able to tell because of the undertray however.

If you are bothered about emissions then I wouldn't bother changing the manifold. It's not just a case of knowing a friendly tester either, because get stopped at a VOSA roadside check or a "Traffic Survey" and you'll be in bother.

Back