• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Exhaust Advice

Hi,

My car is fitted with a stainless steel exhaust from www.tonybanks.co.uk - It was fitted by the previous owner and I love the noise it makes but was wondering if there are any benefits of having it other than noise??? I'm thinking about going back to a stock exhaust. I'm a sucker for keeping things oem at early stage of ownership and it's the only modified part of my immaculate 05 premier edition. I can't stress how immaculate it is and I want it to retain maximum value.

I heard it can increase bhp and mpg is that true? I can't compare obviously!

I'm extremely sorry for being a noob - be kind to me I'm a nice chap :)

It depends on what diameter the pipework is and how smooth the bends are as to whether it makes any gains bhp wise, and if the car is not remapped to suit the mods, those gains will be minimal.

Mpg wise, not likely. You are more likely to be giving it more throttle to hear the exhaust! :lol:

Thanks for the response pal, I know it's a wierd question! I just don't want it to detriment the performance of the car and bring the value down in the long run. Its difficult to pinpoint any pros/cons of having it because never driven an ep3 before this one let alone one with a stock exhaust.

Sorry for asking partially pointless questions, i do love the noise it makes to be fair!

You can probably pick up a standard cat-back for not much money on eBay or on the forums, just keep an eye open. If you put it on and don't like it, you can always sell it on again. :smt023

Loxy just a few questions. Ive got a tegiwa cat back exhaust, (not yet fitted) should I wait to upgrade the Manifold before I do so, to get better gains etc?
Also does it then make it a decat so it wont pass the m.o.t? Also will the Tegiwa 2.5 inch pipe not be as sufficient as a 3 inch pipe?
Im not ever going to go on track, want to make it breathe and run better. Thanks

You can fit a cat back without a manifold without issues. As the name suggests, it is from the cat back i.e. it bolts to the end of your cat if you are using a stock manifold and cat, so no fitting a cat back does not get rid of the cat.

For most applications 2.5inch is fine. 3 inch only comes into its own when you have high power NA or are going forced induction.

Back