• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Exhaust clamp around the CAT

Hey guys,

Today while driving down the motorway the car didn't sound right. Basically a thin metal clamp that wraps right around the cat has come loose where the bolt that clamps it has corroded and sheared off. Now it's rattling around making a right racket, it's pretty embarrassing. I've had a look underneath and cable tied it back together but it's not done the job and the bolt is so corroded it's sort of fused itself to the clamp also, so can't remove it and put a new bolt in.

Can I just rip the clamp off? It doesn't seem to look like it does much at all, if anything. The cat seems perfectly supported without it.

Pic attached to show what I mean! Thanks!

3e7b2288f3c5f5fbe947e301bb12422e.jpg

65fe11fa0436dbea3d04ef3fbc9388cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think the clamp is there to hold the front of the Cat heatshield together but as it looks like your heatshield is no longer there i would just remove it. I am sure i removed mine when my Cat heatshield rusted off. You should be able to spread the clamp out then slip it off of the Cat.

Yep, that's the bracket for the heat shield, which you don't have. Rip it off. The heat shields on these cars are a frikkin nightmare, you're better off without them.

Back